Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Unresolved Mystery of timing in P6

4 replies [Last post]
Haresh Jayanth
User offline. Last seen 6 years 10 weeks ago. Offline

I have a strange problem in my program. I have given a lag of 21 days. The predecessor activity is completing by

Dear All,

I have a strange problem in my program. The successor activity is starting on the same day, when predecessor activity is completing with FS, Zero days lag. For example Predecessor is completing on 15th August 2010 11:00 am , then the successor activity is starting on the same date i.e. by 15th August 2010 11:00 am.

I have crossed checked all the following and found to be correct:

1. Start date and finish date.
  2. Data date time.
  3. Relationship lag calendar.

Pls give a proper advice  to resolve this conflict.

regards,

Haresh Jayanth

Replies

shaju methil
User offline. Last seen 6 years 45 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Haresh

i have been faced with a similar problem ,the solution was solved by tracing back the predecessor link and realising that i had only one incorrect predecessor linked to a start milestone instead of a finish milestone , surprisingly this had a casscading effect on all the remaining links,

try and check if this is not the case,

hope this helps  

Ayman Eleish
User offline. Last seen 12 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Haresh,

I've been faced with the same problem recently.

The lag F F has not been activated .

I tried to re-assigne the percent complete for the activity,and made refresh data.

Jorge Taguinod
User offline. Last seen 2 years 19 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Haresh,

To make sure this does not happen:

1.  Make sure that your hours/day in your calendars are the same with that in your User Preferences

2.  Employ round numbers when entering Durations or Lags

3.  Display Hours and Minutes once in a while to check that your activites start at the start hour of the day and finish at the finish hour of the day (and not anywhere in between).

4.  Resist dragging bars when constraining activities as you need them to start / finish at the start/finish of the day, and not anywhere in between.

Notes:

- I dont have P6 installed on this computer I am using, so I can't give you a step-by-step instruction.

- This is a "simple P6 tip" - meaning, it may not work on complex situations where you have inconsistent hours/day on the same or across multiple calendars.

Hope this helps.  All the best to you.

Jorge

Jerome Soriano
User offline. Last seen 9 years 39 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Haresh,

Change your timescale to day/hour & you will see that the finish of pred. activity & the start of successor activity is within the same day.

This happens because you have a "working hours'' after the finish of the predecessor on the same day and your FS Lag is zero.

Try changing your duration unit of time to day and input whole number duration so that there is no excess hours. If your calendar is set to 8am-5pm working hours, then, your activity will end @ 5pm & the succsesor activity (FS=0) will start on the next day @ 8am.

You can also adjust your work & non-work hours in a day in Calendars.