Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Predessor and sucessor Finishes and Start Same date

5 replies [Last post]
Haresh Jayanth
User offline. Last seen 6 years 8 weeks ago. Offline

Dear All,

I have a problem, The predessor completion date and sucessor start date are the same. For Example if predessor finishes on 25th Aug - 10 , the sucessor start on 25th Aug-10 instead of 26th Aug-10 with 0 days lag.

I know this problem is because of the time settings. I tried to change the time in project start date to 7:00 am and also data date , still i am facing this problem, can any one suggust any solution.

Awaiting for ur reply.

regards,

Haresh Jayanth

Replies

Naveen Paladugu
User offline. Last seen 7 years 28 weeks ago. Offline

As a default, in P6, Project planned start date would be at 00.00 hrs that day. Change that time to your calender start time. Also check the time at which the first activity in that particular WBS is getting started. I think, that is the reason why the predecessor activity is ending at 12.00. And you might have defined 12.00-2.00PM as a non work period. So, successor is starting at 2.00PM on the same day.

Regards,

Naveen Paladugu

Haresh Jayanth
User offline. Last seen 6 years 8 weeks ago. Offline

Dear All,

I have done all the changes in settings, but no positive results. I have changed the working hours both in User preferences, Project start date, calendar, schedule time, all but I am facing this problem wherein the successor is starting at the same day of predecessor.

I went to user preferences, and activated the option to show minutes. When I analysis the situation if predecessor activity is completion on 24th August 2010 12:00pm , then the successor activity is again starting at 24th August 2010 , 2:00pm. Kindly given remedial solution to this problem.

Regards,

Haresh Jayanth

kamesh avasarala
User offline. Last seen 3 years 44 weeks ago. Offline

Dear haresh ,

The problem is mainly with calender only for solving this problem simple way . assign allactivities to standard calander and in standard calander just click standard will change to default calander and use the same calander to all activities then you will get answer.

or if you want why it is happining  change the date format using user preferences and change the date format with time you will understand why it is happining

Naveen Paladugu

If you still feel your query is not attended you may consult  PrimaveraDoctor@PlanningPlanet.com

Naveen Paladugu

I have also faced a similar problem some time back and my mistake was with calender settings. Predecessor activity ends at 15.00 hrs that day and calender defined is up to 18.00 hrs on the same day. So, the successor activity will start at 16.00 hrs on the same day n there by resulting the same date. But, in version 7 they have enhanced this by giving an option to display it in minutes.

Go to user preferences--->Dates n display time (If possible minutes). It enables you to find the exact time at which the predecessor activity is ending and the successor activity is starting.

Then you may opt one option among the following 

1.Go to calenders and adjust the "time period" accordingly. Your "time period" definition should match with your detailed work hours/day. For example you might have assigned 10 hr/day and in your detailed work hours/day, it might be anything other than 10 hrs..

2.And also check the same calender is been assigned to the activities, WBS n to the project.

3. If you get this problem when updating the actual dates then check the staus bar of activity details; exact date and time.

Please Ignore this message if it is not relevant to this problem.