Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6 Activity Order and Sort Problem by "Start Date"

9 replies [Last post]
Greg Reichmann
User offline. Last seen 11 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

Has anyone come across a problem whereby the order in which activities are displayed, are not ordered correctly when sorting by "Start Date"?

I have two activities A & B. A is a Start Milestone with a FS relationship to B, a task dependent activity. When I sort by "Start Date", ie, earliest first, Activity B appears before its logical predecessor, Activity A. The only way to get around this is to sort by finish, however, this stuffs up my view for the rest of what I am trying to show.

Has anyone had this, and if so, are there any solutions?

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

go to group and sort and group it as you want then on the right select sort then add the order there

Jordan Hansing
User offline. Last seen 5 years 9 weeks ago. Offline

I am having a similar issue.  I created my schedule and then later needed to add a new activity.  I've left room in the Activity ID's for the new activity to be in the desired corresponding order. The duration, start time and stop time are all identical to Activities A and B but no matter how I sort my activities the new activity is always 3rd in the sequence behind A and B.

Vasilios Sarras
User offline. Last seen 7 years 37 weeks ago. Offline

Cheers for this one Richard! Worked a treat, keep up the good work. 

Many thanks,

Vas

Richard Rowberry
User offline. Last seen 3 years 25 weeks ago. Offline

Greg,

A very old posting, but in the Group and Sort Field, you can apply multiple Sortings, to further filter the sorting criteria. In this scenario, firstly sort by Start Date ascending, and then a secondary sort by Finish Date ascending. This way whenever you have a Start Milestone and a Task starting on the same date, by default, the activity will finish later than the Milestone and appear below it

Regards

Richard Rowberry

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 12 hours 37 min ago. Offline
Greg,
By default Primavera used sorting field by unique field sequence number (which data ever created first). It means that if you created the task before the milestone then task will always above the milestone if both are sorted on the same field identifier.

Ex: Act1 = Task and Act2 = Milestone.
If Act2->FS-> Act1 then it will sort as task then milestone because milestone has zero duration and it will start on the same time (sorting field start).

You can create any sort field to solve this but I recommend using Activity ID and aligned the Activity ID to sort correctly. (Group & Sort: Start then Activity ID)
Rashid Iqbal
User offline. Last seen 1 year 39 weeks ago. Offline
Gary,

Try sorting out by Start date first and then Activity type...it should put the milestone above the activities even if starting the same day.

Or

Create a sort ’UDF’ auto fill it and then sort it the way you want to. It is not difficult even for 4000 activity schedules.

Regards

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 13 hours 24 min ago. Offline
What about sorting by start date and then by WBS code?
Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
I’m no P6 expert either, but could you not just sort by start date and then by activity type?
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Hi Greg

Welcome to Planning Planet

Just a guess because I don’t use P6 - is the Link from the milestone SS or SF?

Best regards

Mike Testro