Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Start Milestone FS Task Dependent Activity (Date problem)

2 replies [Last post]
Ruben Lopez
User offline. Last seen 5 years 6 weeks ago. Offline

HELP!

Well I thought this problem was taken care of in P6.7, but so far I’m not seeing it.  I have a START MILESTONE tied to an activity by way of (FS).  My milestone start on 9/15 and its successor should on 9/16, but instead it start on the same day.  I’ve even gone under user preferences and set my DATE TIME to show minutes (12 hour) and adjusted the constrained milestone to start at the last minute of my 10 hr work day.  Still, no luck. 

lopezr73@yahoo.com

Replies

Daniel Limson
User offline. Last seen 4 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Lopez,

As far as I know Milestones have zero duration and therefore any successor will start on the same day, if you want it to start your succeeding activitythe following day just put a 1 day lag.

Shah Syed Zaheer
User offline. Last seen 3 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Lopezr,

Select the activity go to

View/Bottom Layout/Activity details/General tab

Select Activity type-It may be

Finish Milestone

LOE

Start Milestone

Resource dependent

WBS Summary

Now coming to ur ? when you select the Start Milestone means Activity will start on 9/15 but you can see in the duration column you cannot add any duration it will be zero. Hence if you put any kind of successor relation it will not work but instead your successor activity will start on 9/15 only. Hope the answer.

IF YOU WANT THE SUCCESSOR ACTIVITY WITH FS ON 9/16

Select the FIRST activity go to

View/Bottom Layout/Activity details/Status tab/Constraints

Select Start On Constraint with date  9/15 in the staus just above constraints and you can see the duration will be 1 day or you can change as you like.

Giving the FS relationship to the Successor activity will start once the predecessor completes ie., on 9/16.

Hope the answer.

Best of Luck.