Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How to consider miscellaneous costs, and resources

5 replies [Last post]
Shareef Abdul Azeez
User offline. Last seen 2 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Hello

I would like to know how to incorporate miscellaneous costs, labour, plant & materials for activities.

Normally when resources are entered only the major resources come to mind but when actually executed based on the site conditions the resources required may increase and some times additional materials which were not though of such as extra binding wire for steel fixing, plastic sheets for blinding, solitex boards for joints,....

There would actually be a whole list of minor materials and sometimes transportation charges from store to site or within site; then may be cost of water tank for watering, cost of water.

P6 is well built for costing.
Now how do we handle this???

Previously I have worked on costing of a project and the costing was done using an ERP package called BAAN.Here we used to have an item called sundries or micellaneous.
Is it something like this?

Regards
Shareef A Azeez

Replies

Duy Pham
User offline. Last seen 8 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Thanks Rodel so much, this subject was my headache for a long time, but now, no more.

Thanks Shareef for rising this subject.

Duy
Shareef Abdul Azeez
Thanx Rodel

Now I understand!!!

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 3 hours 59 min ago. Offline
Shareef,
If the resource is under WBS summary activities or Level of effort activities, you can change the planned date of each resource so the distribution of cost will be based on the estimated planned date. If the activities are sitting at one WBS then use WBS summary activities otherwise use LOE (same as hammock) and link the first activity SS and last Activity FF and assign resource. See sample below:
Resource Allocation
Shareef Abdul Azeez
Thanx once again Rodel,

You are the P6 user manual for a lot of planners...

Now I would like you to detail your reply

LOE activities are Level of Effort I guess. Is it similar to hammock activity?

"You can also use WBS summary activities (i.e. Construction) for those items and you can specifically change planned date for each resource".

can you clarify the above a little more in detail?

( WBS summary activities???.... change planned date for each resource???)

Hope youll have the patience!!!

Thank you once again Rodel
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 3 hours 59 min ago. Offline
Shareef,
You can use LOE activities and assigned expenses, misc materials, sundries...etc...where applicable if you don’t have designated activities for those item. You can also use WBS summary activities (i.e. Construction) for those items and you can specifically change planned date for each resource.