Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

1 day activity with calendar problem

7 replies [Last post]
Glenn Dexter Ubaldo
User offline. Last seen 11 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Guys,

I have 1 day activity duration in my programme but when i look at the dates it is showing a date of for 2 days for example.

expected outcome
duration start finish
box fixing 1 day june 1 8:00 am june 1 6:00 pm

but results to :
duration start finish
box fixing 1 day june 1 8:01 am june 2 8:01

I already assign a 10 hour per day calendar but the result is the same. any ideas guys on how to solve this.

thanks in advance,
Glenn

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 21 hours 15 min ago. Offline
Glen:

Believe you got it right in your posting no 3.

“Is there any option which I can set that the start of every activity should be 8:00 am and the finish should be 6:00 pm.”

Try entering activity duration in days instead of hours, if it spans a single work day you nailed it, it is an issue of workday duration defined slightly less than 8 hours.

I do not have P6 so my recommendations will follow instinct. Try moving to Calendar definition, look for the assigned week definition for your activity calendar and perhaps here you will be able to edit work hours or start and finish of your workday. All software has its own methods to deal with calendar, work week and work hours but I do not believe there is a miss by P6 here.

Best Regards,
Rafael
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 9 hours 21 sec ago. Offline
Hi Sandy,
It is the first time I heard that and I haven’t read any P6 books or reference having that specifications. Can you elaborate your claim? Are you still having that issue?

Best Regards,
Rodel
Sandy Matheson
User offline. Last seen 10 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
When I started using P6 a few years ago I identified thia problem. Primavera helpline/site advise that this is correct as per ’specification’, 1 day activity starts 00.01 and finishes next day at 00.01. This has caused us continual problems as when you present this to ’non-planners’ who see 1 day activity start on a date and finish on following date they intuitively read this as 2 days. Explanation that "this is how P6 does it" is often met with response "well it is not correct, fix it!". So you end up bodging the durations or using a user field to hold a corrected finish date - the old ’work arounds’. Crap really.
Evaristus Ujam
User offline. Last seen 11 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Glenn,

There are possibly two reasons for this abberation:
1 Your system is formated to recognise a 12hr calender day for 24hr calender day. In which case a 24hr calender activity is reported by the software as 2days.

2 You have a constraint somewhere in your programme that tells the your program to delay for one day before starting.

In either case this anomaly is not unexpected.
Please check out for these anomalies and be sure they do not exist
Regards
Ujam
Rodel Marasigan
Glenn,
What is your data date time? Can you also check the Hours time period if set to 10 hrs.
Glenn Dexter Ubaldo
User offline. Last seen 11 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Rodel,

Thanks for the fast reply, I checked already but it still
showing that the activity with the 1 day duration starts
at 8:01 and ends with 8:01 of the following day meaning to
say it is showing that this activity duration for 2 days, I
also try 1 activity with no links and with 1 day duration but still showing the same pattern.

Is there any option which I can set that the start of every activity should be 8:00 am and the finish should
be 6:00 pm.

thanks,
Glenn
Rodel Marasigan
Glenn,
Check the predecessor finish date it may be the cause to start at 8:01 AM. Also show the Duration decimal and it may not whole number.