Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Risk Impact

4 replies [Last post]
Haresh Jayanth
User offline. Last seen 6 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

As already discussed, risk impact , will not affect the schedule and just gives an analysis of known risks......

My question here is.....

a) Suppose i am selecting a WBS with Labour units of 80 units, and then giving an impact of 80 units , with 100% probability of occurance , then why does in the impact analysis it doesnt shows any impact of total float.....I know the schedule will not impacted...

Practically speaking , the impact of 100% occurance should affect the schedule , then why does Current & Current + impact total float are the same

Replies

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 2 days 15 hours ago. Offline
haresh,
It follows your schedule options or preferences. If resources is over allocated then it will not level the resource.

Try some experiment then level the resource first to make sure that date are moving then run the schedule and add risk. If you are experimenting 2 or three activities then it will not work because all floats are already zero and critical so it will just give a new date if impacted unless 2 or three activities are not link but have same resource.

Note: Don’t forget to tick Level Resource During Scheduling

See Sample Schedule below before running P6 Risk module : WBS Requirement Settings have 17 float
Risk Schedule
Sample Risk Result below after applying Risk:
Risk Impact
Haresh Jayanth
Yes Rodel, I understand the risk will not impact the schedule........

But we have a schedule impact analysis , which has the following column i.e. WBS Total float , Project total float and Project Finish date.....atleast the impact of risks should be shown in this column.....if we calculate risks.....

If it does not shows the impact , then what is the purpose of having all this column...

regards,

Haresh
Haresh Jayanth
Yes Rodel, I understand the risk will not impact the schedule........

But we have a schedule impact analysis , which has the following column i.e. WBS Total float , Project total float and Project Finish date.....atleast the impact of risks should be shown in this column.....if we calculate risks.....

If it does not shows the impact , then what is the purpose of having all this column...

regards,

Haresh
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 2 days 15 hours ago. Offline
Haresh,
Risk Impact calculates only exposure and it will not affect the schedule. Use Monte Carlo risk simulation or Pertmaster or any Risk simulation software that will calculate the correct risk impact based on different simulation and probability.