Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Percent Complete Problem

7 replies [Last post]
Michael Elsey
User offline. Last seen 14 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Ok, this is giving me a headache.

I am using P6.

I’m showing the correct duration % complete on my projects so everything is great until a PM wants to compare that with what he calls a "Physical % Complete".

What he means by this is if you have 10 milestones in a programme and you say that each one completed is 10% of the project completed.

I was hoping to show this in P6 somehow but I’m having real trouble with it.

Is there any easy way of showing 10 milestones, with 3 complete for example (after filtering all other activities out) and having a rolled up percent complete showing 30% complete for the project?

I appreciate this is an odd question, thanks in advance!

Replies

Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Michael,

Yes, you are correct, you cannot assign resource to Milestone because of zero duration.

To show the Budgeted Units and Price/Unit, right click on the open area of "Expenses" tab, and select "Customize Expense Columns".

Performance % Complete will only roll-up when you have resource cost assign to your activities.

Regards,

Arnold

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 6 days ago. Offline
Michael

To achieve 100% and project’s end, the sum over all expenses should be 100. Then you’ll easily be able to produce an s-curve.

If a ms represents e.g. 3% of the project, you’ll assign 3 (Euro, Pound, Dollar...) budgeted costs to it. Report "Cost %-Complete.

Regards
Dieter
Michael Elsey
Hello Arnold, thanks for replying.

I have a couple of queries on your post:

In the expenses tab there are no entries for budgeted units or price/unit. These fields are in the resource tab and I cannot apply resources to milestones. The expenses tab contains budgeted cost, actual cost etc. I’m not sure which you mean.

At the moment I have 100% complete in the ’Performance % Complete’ for each milestone that is complete but it is still not rolling up to the summary bar.

I feel like I’m getting closer now!

Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Michael,

I presumed that you have only 10 Milestones in one project and no cost resource loaded to other activities, only the 10 milestone. If this is the case then, you can try this:

Assign "Expenses" to the 10 milestone.
Budgeted Units = 1
Price / Unit = 1

When done, update the 3 milestone (i.e. 100%) and add one column for the "Performance % Complete".

Let us know if the above steps works.

Regards,

Arnold
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Try to do it manually, for example: 10 WBS (equivalent of your 10 milestones). You can update the activities under each WBS so that it sums up to 10% for each WBS.

How you do it? I supposed there are steps (for physical % complete); or costs; or units.

To roll-up, I supposed performance % complete works.

I never done it myself by the way.

cheers!
Michael Elsey
Thanks for replying!

Let me try and clarify what I mean.

I’m not using the physical % complete in P6.

My question is:
I have 10 milestones and each one of them represents 10% of the work in the project. So each time a milestone is completed, 10% of the work is done. So if 3 of them are complete, you could say that 30% of the project is complete. What I’m looking for is a way of weighting these milestones and then rolling the total up into a summary bar.
So in the above example, the summary bar would say 30% complete in a column.

The project has a decent level of detail in it and I report the normal duration % complete usually. The PM has requested this different reporting and I’m just trying to show it in P6. If it is not possible I will just put all the data into excel or something.

I hope that is clearer!

Thanks
Salar Al Zubaidi
User offline. Last seen 1 year 50 weeks ago. Offline
Hi there,

I really want to help u, but when I saw the 10 milestone of the programme have been completed 10% each I get confused, I assumed that all milestone in same line/ date,….

Let me tell you what I think, as duration wise you will have it sorted in the programme i.e. in the P6 alike you said, but as physical % that means you need weight your activities in the programme depending on efforts like(cost or man-hour) in separate excel sheet, bearing in mind that the total of the sum of the activity weights should be 100% in this case you can agree this with your PM i.e. the weighting system.

I hope this was clear for you or to gives you an idea how to manage the physical 100%

Regards,

Salar