Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Inputing Russian Characters

9 replies [Last post]
Nial Evans
User offline. Last seen 11 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I`m trying to input Russian Characters into a "user text" field by copying and pasting them in from a translated "MSWord" document, but when I do all I get is "?????? ?????? ???????"

How do I get P6 to understand Russian characters? or is it not possible?

Cheers

Replies

Trevor Williams
User offline. Last seen 8 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
First off Dieter...I agree with your reply about downgrading to MSP...

I lived in Ukraine for about 4 years and found that I had to have a Cyrillic font installed on my PC. I used a comment in field P3.1 for entering the Russian translation and showed the comments on the bars in Russian and the Act. Des. Column that showed the English translation. Worked like a charm.

I also purchased a Cyrillic keyboard for about $10 that had both Russian and English characters on it, which made it easier to type when needed. I must say I never used a transition program, but I would look in to the font issue.

Hope this helps.

Trevor
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 1 week ago. Offline
Nial

It is the character set.

Regards

Dieter
Nial Evans
Dieter

I tried with my IT department....he messed about for half an hour or so then gave up!!! what do I have to do to change the database settings??

cheers

Nial
Dieter Wambach
Nial

The response from Primavera was nonsense. You even can switch to Russian language.

It depends on the database settings which allow or not.

No need to downgrade to MSP.

Regards

Dieter
Arthur Godbeer
User offline. Last seen 14 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
"Primavera once was developed for DOS." Yes. But that was P3 and has got absolutely nothing to do with P6. P6 began life from scratch in 1999 and has no DOS history.
Nial Evans
thanks for the help...I have been in touch with Primavera and they say it cant be done...yet.

I tried exporting from excel and that didnt work either....but I had to get the plan out by thursday, so as a last resort I had to export the schedule into MSProject.....yuck.....Once again thanks for the help so far.
Hannes de Bruyne
User offline. Last seen 1 year 33 weeks ago. Offline
Sorry

Zwischen should be rad as Zn
Hannes de Bruyne
User offline. Last seen 1 year 33 weeks ago. Offline
Nial

Primavera once was developed for DOS ! There are still some remainings i.g. sometimes a character set is used which understands 256 characters only. The difference between a Window font and a dos font = 848 Characters for the Russian alphabet.
I once wrote a function for Primavera 3.1 which looks like this:
iRow = 1
Do While Not IsEmpty(Cells(iRow, 1))

If Cells(iRow, 2) <> "" Then
Test = ""
For i = 1 To Len(Cells(iRow, 2))
Zn = AscW(Mid(Cells(iRow, 2), i, 1))
Test = Test & IIf(Zn < 256, ChrW(Zwischen), ChrW(Zn - 848))
Next i
Cells(iRow, 3) = Test
End If
iRow = iRow + 1
Loop

you can prepare yr text in excel and import it into P3e
Maybe yr IT department can help you
Dieter Wambach
Nial

It isn’t P6, it is the parameter setting of the database and of your PC.
Check with your IT.

Regards
Dieter