Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

HELP P6 Calendar

6 replies [Last post]
Civ Oczalev
User offline. Last seen 5 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Someone is changing the calendars (from 7 days to 5 days). And it’s frustrating because all my floats are changing.

However since I am updatin my project, how do I avoid the changes in the calendar.

If i use "project" calendar, I need to change the calendar foe each activity, one by one. is this the case?

Please advise. Thanks.

Replies

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 6 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Peter

Primavera internally calculates and memorizes everything in hours. But if you’ll display 0h in days it will be 0 independent from settings. A change between 0 and 1 means that there is no zero-float. Display your durations with decimals and it will be evident.

Regards
Dieter
Peter Nicol
User offline. Last seen 13 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
gotta love Primavera’s "Features".

this is an issue i’ve run into previously.

In particular where i have a job where i have engineering and construction activities. More often than not these 2 are on different calenders which is a big issue when displaying durations in days, weeks or months (usuaully days) as we all know what happens as a result of the user settings :P

in this situation i ended up displaying hours instead anyway. it’s ugly but there is easy solution here.

I’m aware of the float issue with regards to this. This greatly impacts the critical path if you are using the = or less than 0 days critical path option. P6 can actually miss the critical path as a result of calender changes. I’ve activities on the the critical path deviate between 0 days and 1 day even though they drive each other. this deviation is a result of calender changes. i do hope Primavera solve this soon.

- Peter.
Shahzad Ahmad
User offline. Last seen 14 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Dieter

Thanks for your reply.
Really i was not aware of this setting ..

i will try in next project if it will work for me.

Thanks

Shahzad
Dieter Wambach
Shahzad
This I cannot support.
We use different calendars. There is no problem if you are aware of some details:
- Floats, durations in summary lines base upon default calendar, don’t display them.
- Float of an activity is based upon the activity’s calendar
- Lags depend on your scheduling options.
Different floats on a longest path are misleading, so don’t show them. Primavera promised an improvement, e.g. an additional column with a float based upon the project calendar.
Regards
Dieter
Shahzad Ahmad
User offline. Last seen 14 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
hi,

use of more then one calender not advisale in P6 By Paul Harris.

If you want to change All activites claender there Should no harm.
Dieter Wambach
Civ
I don’t really understand your quetion, so a little general reply.
Modifications of calendars in general: Grant the right to change general calendar to very few persons. Give "speaking" names to calendars, e.g. 5d_10h_PhilippineHoliday. Have a discussion for the default calendar because all summary calculations are based on this one.
To change activity calendars for many activities, use "Fill Down".
Hope that helps
Dieter