Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Group & Sort P6 - removing blank bands

10 replies [Last post]
Christopher Nicolas
User offline. Last seen 14 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hello all,

When grouping in P6 (not using WBS) is there a way to turn off ’blank’ grouping bands so. Eg one activity may have three codes, but another may have six. The activity with three codes will show three other bands that may say ’no level’, or ’no phase’ etc. Is there any way to turn off blank bands?

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 days 10 hours ago. Offline

just filter 

where whatever code is not equal to (leave the paramater blank)

i.e. for areas of a building

where area is not equal to (blank)

Eric Chou
User offline. Last seen 36 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Hi Chris,

I just saw your post 10 year later.  I understand your question.  I have the same problem.  I think there is no simple switch in P6 even release 17 can get rid of group title such as "No xxxxx".  However, there is a workaround and easy to do.  First, create a new code value under your Activity Code dictionary.  Let Code Value = "." and leave Description blank.  Then use Global Change:

Where Code equal _____, Then Code = "." 

Make sure to add Code Value = "." first before global change.  You can repeat many times using the same template.

Good Luck

Eric

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 42 weeks ago. Offline

SZ,

Firstly please in future create a new topic for  such questions, rather than replying to a thread which is several years old.

Secondly it is not a good idea to give out your email address on these forums, as spammers are active here.

Thirdly, please don't post the same question multiple times in different parts of the forum. 

To create your codes, go to Enterprise > Activity codes > modify.

Use "add" to create a code called "Discipline", and then close the "Activity Codes Definition" window

Next select your new "Discipline" code from the drop-down box on the "Activity Codes" window, and use "Add" to add a code element for each discipline (civils, electrical, etc)

Once you have finished adding the code elements, close this window, and add a column to your gantt chart for your new activity code (you will find it under the activity codes section)

Now go through each activity and assign it with the relevant code (you can use the "fill down" function to speed this up)

Finally, you can now set up a filter to show only those activities which have a discipline code of "civil", etc.

S Z
User offline. Last seen 3 years 2 weeks ago. Offline

Hi,

I have four building

One is CMH

2nd is MPP and so on..............

Under each and every building there are Electrical, Mechanical, Civil, Wood Working and Equipment sub-wbs are available.

Now my question is that if i need to know or i want to see only electrical activities by building wise then how can i do that? (i know that we have to define code but i don't know how to define them.....this is what i want to learn step by step) because this will enable me to check electrical activities building wise same as if i want to see CIVIL then i can sort by civil for every building....

Can anyone guide me step by step ........???

Plz snap shot will highly be appreciated........... at kalbe00@hotmail.com

Christopher Nicolas
thanks - as suspected need WBS!
Ferdinand Fincale...
User offline. Last seen 8 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Raviraj is right, it does work only on several setup of grouping and not to all applications.

To serve your purpose Christopher, I guess you need to use filtering then.

Simply sharing. Thanks.
A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
If u r using activty codes, then those bands will remain as it is.

Only and only if u r using WBS, then u can HIDE empty bands.
Ferdinand Fincale...
If the tick box of "Hide if empty" is ticked then it still doesn’t work, there could be some data under those bands that it cannot be hidden.

You may try filtering instead.
Christopher Nicolas
No this doesn’t work.
Ferdinand Fincale...
Hi Christopher,

In the Group and Sort tab or pop-up window, try ticking the tick box of "Hide if empty".

Hope it solves that problem.

In Service,
Ferdinand