Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Sort bands in the chronological order

8 replies [Last post]
Gwenael Delaleux
User offline. Last seen 8 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi,

I'd like to sort each level of my WBS by summary Start Date ; like using the "Sort bands alphabetically" option but with Start date..

Is there a way to do that?

Thanks

Gwenael

Replies

Tom Boyle
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Hi Gwenael,

You will need to start by abandoning WBS as the fundamental dimension of the layout.  (WBS is by its very definition a hierarchical structure for organizing the scope of work, not the schedule.  You can't re-sort it alphabetically in the layout either.)  While I don't see a giant problem with doing what you want, P6 is just not optimized for it (nor are other tools that I am familiar with).

The simplest approach is to group by Start, with the interval set to month, then sort within each band by start - then finish - in ascending order.  You can create activity codes or user-defined fields for organizing your activities independent of the WBS, and some of these might be pseudo-chronological (e.g. Phase1, Phase2, etc., or even "WBS Start Date")  Then you could group by these codes before sorting.  But like Rafael suggests, that might be more trouble than it's worth for you.

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 10 hours 6 sec ago. Offline
  • It occurs to me you might create activity codes from your WBS if you cannot control sort directly from it.
  • Not available at a single click, time consuming but might do the trick. Every time you add an activity you might need to do it all over again as to greate the codes for the new activity.

• Good Luck
Gwenael Delaleux

It only sorts the activities in the WBS ; I would like to sort the WBS according to the summary dates of each level.

Gwenael Delaleux

It only sorts the activities in the WBS ; I would like to sort the WBS according to the summary dates of each level.

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 10 hours 6 sec ago. Offline

I do not use P6 but wonder if by selecting the column title Early Start you can sort by the column value, then you sould be able to save the Layout. The following is the dialog box I get if using Spider Project.

Sort by Columns photo sort_zpst6fpxlgu.jpg

photo Layout_zpseqcfthwo.jpg

Gwenael Delaleux

Thank you but it doesn't relly help..

In fact, I would like to keep the same group by options ; but just sort each level of grouping by Summary Start Date, as we can easily do by WBS Name (alphabetically).

Gwenael Delaleux

Thank you but it doesn't relly help..

In fact, I would like to keep the same group by options ; but just sort each level of grouping by Summary Start Date, as we can easily do by WBS Name (alphabetically).

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

group by wbs 

then by start in the group interval put the internal either day week month

you might have to collapse the wbs to get what you want or select only show summary bars