Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

using actual data files for new projects

5 replies [Last post]
shiv rao
User offline. Last seen 11 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Presently i am working for an project where i have to use the existing file of client in Primevera 5 .0 .

This files are having actual data. And its Resource loaded.
No Baseline File exist that i can use .

the Only solution i think i have is to use this files.

[ If you have any other solution let me know]

The way i am moving forward is by :
Step 1 : Removing actual labor units = 0
Step 2: removing the activity status to not started .

But when i am doing this the Original Duration of the Activities are getting back to ’0’ , not only that the resources if are in multiple the duration is becoming 1 with varied duration for each resource.Which is more confusing.

I have checked with many of my other frineds , we are not able to get solution .

Replies

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Shiv,
Good luck for your further professional career. I believe that after the first professional steps - with 32 - it’s a good start as a scheduler: Primavera is leading edge, to learn for PMP will give a good theoretical basis to you, and oil&gas is a good area. In addition you will ask and learn and read and ask and learn and ... After >30 years of professional experience I still like this profession very much: It’s challenging, always requires to learn, and I’m in contact to different persons with different backgrounds - culture, language, profession.

To your question: There is no copy function for codes but copy/paste for the contents does work.

Regards
Dieter
shiv rao
Thank you very much.
my email id is jayshiv26@hotmail.com.

can i know more about your profile and abou the projects your are handling.

My NAme is Shiv Rao Age 32 Profession Computer engineer by Qualification and Scheduler by Work .
Very found of Primavera and want to be a part in the dynamic Environment.
Not yet a PMP member but soon will become.
Presently working for an Oil & Gas Contractor and into a major turn around this year end.

One more Question ?
Can we copy a Global set of Activity Codes to into Project Activity Codes.

Regards

Shiv Rao
Dieter Wambach
Hi Shiv
You may send a private email through PP.
To 4. It’s called "actual regular units". If they are >0 you can’t remove the actual start - Actual duration will be set automatically. But as "Fill Down" worked, it’s ok.
to 6. If you set "Actual Start Date" to " ", the activity will be set to "Not started".
To 8. You wrote, that you want to use an old project, so the dates of activities and the constraints of your current project will be different. I found it easier to remove all constraints and then set the ones needed by the new project.
The project’s start date you you’ll set in the view "Projects" under "Dates". You’ll set the new start date and --> F9
Regards
Dieter
shiv rao

Thanks Dieter,
Can i know your email id plz.
Your answer was quite satisfactory.

I am refering to the bullets you have marked.
1,2,3 : Done by me
4 : I think the Remaining unit = Budgeted units .
Actual units = 0 is not accepting as Actual Duration does not appear in the selection criteria.
So ijust made one of the top most actual units = 0 and then filled down. Now it works.
Why do you need Sl no - 6. Its to set the start of the activity to any particular date. But it should be linked with the project start date.
Sl no - 8 : If we remove all the Constraints used then the required . The requirement of toe dates will be missed. Or we should investigate why they are reqd and fixed accordingly.
Also the start date of the project how to manage.
IF we schedule with the required new start date wil it change all the activities accordingly.

It was a good answer though. And its highly appreciated.

Regards

Shiv Rao
Dieter Wambach
Hi Shiv
That will require several steps after you created a copy for security. Please be aware that I’m a user P6 as you. No warranty, check it first with a security copy!:
1. Change Edit --> User Preferences --> Time Units --> Durations to "hours" - because internally P5/P6 calculates / saves hours.
2. Create a UDF (User Defined Field) format "number"
3. Create a Global Change to copy "Original Duration" to that UDF. Run the Global Change.
4. Create a Global Change (within "Activity Resource Assignments") to set all Actual Units to "0", Remaining Units = Budgeted Units. Run the Global Change.
5. "F9" (Schedule), check remaining and budgeted units
6. Set Actual Start Date to " ", by "Fill Down" or a Global Change
7. "F9" (Schedule), check the Log File for constraints
8. Remove all constraints ("Primary Constraint" of the first activity to "none", then "Fill Down".
9. Create a Global Change (reverse to 3) to copy the UDF with the rescued duration to "Original Duration". Run the Global Change.
10."F9" (Schedule)
Hopefully I didn’t forget anything, but it should work.
Good luck!
Dieter