Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

edit admin preference workhours carried to all projects

7 replies [Last post]
kier legard
User offline. Last seen 14 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi to all,

why is it that when i edit the manhours work in admin

preferences it is carried in all my projects.

regards,

kier

Replies

Andrew Dick
User offline. Last seen 8 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
So today I came up with a set of guidelines or benchmark settings that I have shown to a few people.

These settings are designed to provide consistency across the enterprise database with respect to the selection of the units/time period and the global default calendar, and also provide guidance on resource calendar and float calculation,

I beleive my research has shown ALL of these things are interconnected by the units/time period and the global calendar setting, along with a couple of other things.

If anyone would like to provide a review of this proposal please e-mail me at ’andrewtdick@hotmail.com’ and I shall send it on.

Andy
Andrew Dick
Keir,
From what I understand you have a requirement to change the calendar on certian activities????

This being the case you can use the global change to do this.

If the issue is the change in durations, dates and float, then I’m afraid this will happen, nothing you can do except manage each activity on it’s own.

If you can provide more detail as to what you are doing then we could guide you better.

Andy
kier legard
Hi Andrew.

Is there any solution with my problem.I tried to change the calendar globally from 24 to 8 hrs but it doesnt work.

What should I do. I dont want to repeat doing all again as it involves thousands of activities.

Regards,

kier
Andrew Dick
Keir,
This is an expected outcome of doing what you did.
The dates are different as the schedule would be about 3 times longer in duration and the individual floats, (If you can beleive Primavera at all - but that’s a different subject) would have changed as a result of the individual activities now being 3 times as long and the non linear relationship between the new durations and the new critical path.

This is my point when these calendars are concerned, that you can’t just change them for fun or without reason as the way this tool (P5) calculates it will mess with your head when you try to analyse it.

Andy
kier legard

Thanks Imran/Andrew,

Actually my problem is i have created a project which has a 24 hours working time but when i converted the working hours to 8 all the date and floats are different.What should i do?

Regards ,

kier
Andrew Dick
Keir,
This is the standard Modus Operandi of Primavera.

As Imran has said the admin user preferences can be set to allow each user to set their own ‘units per time period’.

From what I’ve witnessed over the last few months Primavera has dropped the ball here with these settings along with the issues surrounding the ‘Default’ global calendar selection.

The default calendar is used by Primavera to schedule the default or user selected ‘hours per time period’ in line with the selected activity calendar.

Note – As Primavera schedules in hours this is the point where the user gets confused with the activity Vs summary durations. This is because the summary durations are calculated by using the ‘Units per time period’ scheduled against the default calendar and not the activity calendar.

Now – If you set the user preference to allow the user to set the ‘units per time period’ themselves, you can get a third answer from the same project at both the summary and activity durations.

Currently my database administrator or people with the privilege to change the default calendar, do so at will dependant on the project within the EPS that they are working on so they can use the default calendar for each new activity that they create. Even though, each project has a default calendar for new activity setting. IMHO the project level setting for the default calendar ‘Units per time period’ should be locked to that project and each user of that project should be constrained to use that figure.

The project level default calendar figure for ‘Units per time period’ should be set to the planned expenditure of effort for that project either based on full work hours per day or a utilisation factor per day, then if other calendars are selected at various activities to allow schedule compression or for specific constraints on that activity, the durations will be correctly compressed based on the new daily or weekly cycle.

If you look at this forum thread Calculation Of Activity Duration ??????????????? you will find that the issue is quite interesting

So there you have it

Andy
Imran Arshad
User offline. Last seen 5 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Dera Kier,
In P6 when u change Admin & User preference it applies to all project under on user.
In Admin if change manhour work then check on" allow user to specify no of work hours for each time period".With this practice user preferences will be independent of admin preferences and project will calculate on the basis of manhour work defined in user preferences but when ever we will change user preferences all prjects under on user will change accordingly.

Imran