Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6 16.2 - xlsx Import error "The User Preferences used to create this Excel file are not the same as your current preferences"

5 replies [Last post]
M N
User offline. Last seen 3 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi everyone,

I am trying to import an xlsx file to P6 16.2 and getting the error "The User Preferences used to create this Excel file are not the same as your current preferences." 

Since I thought I could have tampered with the format of modified data in the exported .xlsx file, I tried simply exporting again, saving the same xlsx file without making any changes clicking 'save' button in excel. 

When I import it back, it is giving me the same error "The User Preferences used to create this Excel file are not the same as your current preferences."

However, if I am not changing / saving the xlsx file and importing it back, I see no error.

Hope someone can help to get me out of this. 

Thanks in advance,

MM

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

thake a look at these setting in P6 and the xls file 

DurationQtyType=QT_Day
ShowAsPercentage = 0
SmallScaleQtyType=QT_Hour
DateFormat=dd'-'mmm'-'yy
CurrencyFormat = Dollar 

and see if they match 

M N
User offline. Last seen 3 years 24 weeks ago. Offline

Thanks a lot for your support @Santosh Bhat Send message to Santosh Bhat, @Bian Mutang Tagal Send message to Bian Mutang Tagal

Bian Mutang Tagal
User offline. Last seen 1 year 30 weeks ago. Offline

Hi M N, Santosh is right. The Excel file not importing is is a bug with P6 Version 16.2. I would know because I moved to 16.2 from 16.1 due to another bug in 16.1 where the pop-up resource assignments window would not be visible on my screen. Only to find out that 16.2 has the Excel file importing bug, which is a deal-breaker for me. Unlike previous older versions, installing the Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 will not resolve the issue this time. Your options are either to:

1. Apply the patch in which case you must be able to access Oracle Support
  2. Or upgrade to a later version (which I did, in P6 V18.8)
Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 1 year 2 weeks ago. Offline

There was a previous post about this error here: Excel Import in P6 16.2 error message.... PLZ HELP | dedicated to Project Controls (planningplanet.com)

Where the solution appeared to be to apply a patch, perhaps upgrading to a later version of P6 will resolve?

Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 1 year 2 weeks ago. Offline

The item on Oracle's Support site is:

"Error: "The User Preferences Used to Create This Excel File Could Not Be Found..." When Attempting to Import an Excel Spreadsheet Into P6 Professional (Doc ID 899144.1)"

Sorry I'm unable to access the above to see what they recommend.