Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Layout View in P5 carrying the latest saved layout view

16 replies [Last post]
kier legard
User offline. Last seen 14 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi to All,

When I open a project in p5 and save a layout view it carries the layout in all my projects and new projects.

Is there any technique in saving layout view without affecting the layout of my other projects,

Thanks,

kier

Replies

Vijay Chitla
User offline. Last seen 12 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
I have this issue as well. The way I do it is -

1. Save the layout for that particular Project (View -> Layout -> Save As -> Under "Available to" -> Select "Project" and specifiy the project you want it saved under.)

2. This still does not open the Project specific layout when you switch between multiple projects.

3. You will have to open the specific layout every time you access that project.

4. Saving the layout using “Available to” only helps you organize your layouts and makes it easy to open the specific layout, but it does not carry the layout with the project across sessions or programs.

5. This problem is even bigger if you send/receive XER files to Clients/Others or switch between different computers.

If someone has figured out aa easier way, please let us know. I wish Primavera could fix this or add this feature.

Vijay.
Alex Rozenkevich
User offline. Last seen 6 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Hi every one,

I have the same difficulties in P6 and believe that it’s a significant waste of time to re assign and constanly edit layouts each time. P3 manages layouts much better. So what kind of improvement is this?

Alex
Johnny Xu
User offline. Last seen 5 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

Default P6 layout is always the last open one. Unless you go to file > Close all projects, and then you open the new project, then the associated layout will be opened.
Mirza Imam Baig
User offline. Last seen 5 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Alex,

Please refer to KD’s post below which reads:

"P6 support Project specific layout which will attach to a project.Maybe it can help "

This is where I got the doubt that P6 might have an option for that. Otherwise I know that softwares can’t read minds.............................. Anyways.........

Regards,
Imam Baig
Patricia Le Clainche
User offline. Last seen 9 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks Alex. Totally agree.

As far as I am concerned, I am not lost with my... over 50 different layouts in Activity View. Just give them a specif name, and it works very well.

Patricia
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Hi

The answer is unfortunately "NO"

My question 2 you is click open layout and click L2 is it difficult?? What about the user don’t want the layout associated with the project. How about what happen if you open 2 project at the same time which layout should it use. Should the software read mind.

Sorry being sarcastic, but it is important as a user you have to understand we human is where the intelligent stay. Software is a tool but cannot satisfy every demand.

Good luck

Alex
Mirza Imam Baig
Hi Alex,

I understand that we can create as many layouts as we can.
Let me clarify a bit in detail. Let’s say I have two different programs A & B and each one has a different layout say L1 & L2 respectively.

Let’s say I opened Prgram A with L1 selected and closed it. Now when I open Program B, it still opens with layout L1.... whereas when I updated it last time, I saved it with L2.... why it does not open automatically with L2..... So each time I open any Program I need to select the corresponding layout.

My question is, Is there a way, when ever we open a Program it opens with it’s corresponding layout automatically.

Hope my query is clear now...

Regards,
Imam Baig

Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Dear All,

I don’t understand the issue here, PPs please help
you can save as many layout as possible to attached with each project. Simply Layout - Save as - (you may give the layout same as the project Id

HTH

I am confused

Alex

Mirza Imam Baig
Hi KD,

How it’s done in P6. Because I did not see any change in P5 and P6 when it comes to layouts. Each time I open a program, I need to assign the layout pertaining to it much similar to P5. can you please advise how I can overcome this trouble in P6. Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Imam Baig
K D
User offline. Last seen 15 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Hi.
P6 support Project specific layout which will attach to a project.Maybe it can help
kier legard

hi Patricia,

Now its ok,

Regards,

kier

Patricia Le Clainche
Hi Kier,

If you need different Page SetUp values(marge, Fit to %, Timescale Start/Finish, Titles (Headheard/ Footer), the only solution I see, is as I told you : saving one Layout for each project, with its specific options.

Does it solve your problem ?
Kindest regards.
Patricia
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
i guess you mean Header/Footer? yes, but you can change it and save the changes with your new layout
kier legard
Hi

The problem is when I edit or change something in page settings like project title it is carried to my other projects.

Regards,

kier
Patricia Le Clainche
Hi Kier,

When I save a layout that suits to a specific projetc, I put the name of the projet in the Layout Name.

For instance, on Activity view, I think I have about 70 specific layouts, about 10 to 15 in Assigments...

I hope it helps.
Patricia

Andrew Dick
User offline. Last seen 8 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Keir,
The layout in use is saved against your profile and will be the next layout used when you open any project.

If you require different standard layouts for different projects then you will need to ’save as’ the specific layouts for those projects in your profile and then open the layout required each time you need it.

Andy