Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6 - Copy activities across to another project

7 replies [Last post]
Mohsen Nourbakhsh
User offline. Last seen 11 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Hi all,
I need to copy a few activities (keeping the exisiting relationships/resource/costs...) over to another project in P6. I have tried to open both at the same time and do the copy but it does not work as I wish to. Also have created a "reflection" and tried to merge into the other one but I think it needs Admin access because the command is not active. There should be an easier way...?Help

Cheers

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

copy the project

close the project  

open the project that you just copied 

in that project delete what you DO NOT NEED 

export this schedule with a few activities as an xer file. 

open the project that you want to add these to and select file import 

during the import project options process change create a new project to Add Into Existing Project

then at the next screen Update Project Options select Modify and tell it what and how you want to bring in your information

thats it

Alaa Arabi
User offline. Last seen 7 years 30 weeks ago. Offline

Hi,

I have created around 12 critical paths manually for different milestones in a certain project and coded those critical path activities. Now that project have been updated. I have to repeat the exact same exercise for that updated project.

I dont want to repeat doing all 12 critical paths manually again.

Is there a way to import those critiacal path coded activities into the new updated project.

Note: both projects which are basically same but one is updated, sit in the same EPS.

Thanks

Alaa

Mike Loughery
User offline. Last seen 10 years 25 weeks ago. Offline

An easy way to do this is;

1. Open both projects in activities window.
  2. Copy & Paste the Activities in the project you want to move them from. [under a blank grouping makes this easier].
  3. Display the WBS Column.
  4. Select the WBS in the colum that you want to move the copies to.
  5. Scroll Up/Down to the Copied activties.
  6. Use Ctrl & select each activity
  7. Right click & Fill down
  8. Success!
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 19 hours 4 min ago. Offline
Mohsen,

When copying activities from project to another project you will experience, that it will not work because of this reasons. The way it was organize (group & sort) in layout. If organize by WBS that should not be a problem but organize by global activity code it will not work because you may selecting same project.

The best way to copy activities is to use WBS window and copy across from one project to another project which is clearly not to same project itself.

Is that making sense?

Abed,
You cannot close unwanted Projects one by one, it’s either close all project or open a project or sets of project when closing projects that already open because project are not on each window like excel or word or other software. It’s either open by EPS, Project or set of Projects which is like filtering the database on the selection you made.
Abed Prnd
User offline. Last seen 13 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Hi

I experienced the same. sometimes I have 3 projects open,whatever I do to close the unwanted, I can’t.(you can just close all), but when I want to copy between projects, I wouldn’t be able to open 2 projects at the same time.

Regards,
Abed
Mohsen Nourbakhsh
User offline. Last seen 11 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks Dieter, sounds interesting and practical.will try it tomorrow back at work.cheers
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 5 days ago. Offline
Hi
For me this is one of Primavera’s secrets, why sometimes it does work to copy across projects and mostly not - the same behaviour since ver. 2.1. But there is a secure workaround: create a wbs "tocopy" --> open activities view --> group your activities by "wbs" --> move those activities into that new element --> open wbs-view --> move this element into the other project --> now all activities are within the other project --> open activities view --> move activities to where you want to have them --> open wbs-view --> delete "tocopy". Sounds difficult but is rather easy to perform - if you have the appropriate rights.
Good luck!
Dieter