Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Copy a WBS from one project to another.

6 replies [Last post]
ladi sodipo
User offline. Last seen 7 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
i am trying to copy a WBS from one project to another in P6, everytime i copy the project and go to the other project, my paste option dissapears, any ideas how else i can try doing this.

Replies

Johny Kesserwany
User offline. Last seen 7 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Welcome!

ladi sodipo
Thanks......
Johny Kesserwany
User offline. Last seen 7 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
There are two ways to copy the WBS information from one project to another.

Project that has the WBS structure already in the database

1. Open both projects and choose Project, WBS.

2. Go to View, Group and Sort By. Choose Default.

3. Highlight the WBS structure to copy. Right-click and choose Copy.

4. Click on the project to copy the WBS into and right-click and choose Paste.

5. Uncheck all the boxes in the Copy WBS Options box (unless you want to copy assignments over also).

6. Click OK.

Project that has the WBS structure, but is not in the database.
This procedure assumes you have an XER of the project (XXX) to copy the WBS structure from.

1. Open the project (TEST) that is going to receive the WBS structure.

2. Choose File, Import.

3. Follow the prompts until you reach the Import Project Options:

a. At this stage of the import, choose "Update Existing Project" and also choose the correct project in the "Import To" section.
b. Click Next.
c. Click Yes if you receive a message about the Unique Internal Identifier not matching.

4. The next screen should appear:

a. Click on "Add".
b. Enter a name for the new configuration.
c. Click on Modify.

5. The Modify Import Configuration dialog should appear:

a. This screen will allow you to choose what Data Items you can import from the XXX project into the TEST project. Click on the "Keep Existing" and change them to "Do Not Import" for all of the items you do not want to import.
b. Ensure that Projects and WBS are changed to Insert New and click OK.

6. A window will appear:

a. You will have to click in the "Use" column for the WBS Only configuration to be changed to "Yes".

b. Click Next.

7. Click Finish.
ladi sodipo
not sure if this makes any difference, but i was trying to copy from a reflection to my source project. i had initially tried to merge both projects. any advise would really be appreciated
ladi sodipo
Steven,
That was my initial way of doing it, i had both open, even though i had to move from one project to the other, just tried it again ....no luck, any other sugestions, Thanks
Steven Oliver
User offline. Last seen 11 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Open the projects together. Then in WBS view, you can copy from one to the other.