Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Export full list of Activity Codes from one database and import to another.

No replies
Rodney Jones
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi All,

Do you have an insight into how I can transfer a specific set of Activity codes from one dsatabase to another?

I have a set of 10 Activity Codes that each have between 10 and 18 attributes and I really do not want to create a set of Activities and have to assign all the codes so as to capture them and then export as an xer and import to the new db.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Rod

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 8 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Rod,

If you understand the Primavera database and know how to modify XER using Excel CSV format, you can copy and paste the code and rebuild the XER. If not, the easiest method is to create a dummy activity and assign all the codes using the following steps:

1) Create a dummy project with no WBS and have 1 activity and all activity codes you need to transfer (1 each on all of them).
2) Use the 'export to Excel' function using activities with all the columns of Activity Code you need to transfer as a template (e.g., Activity ID, Activity Status, Act code 1, Act code 2, Act code..., and so on).
3) Use the Copy and paste to Excel by opening all the activity code attributes that you want.
4) Create a dummy activity in the Excel template you created and copy-paste the activity codes per activity code columns you need to transfer.
4) Save the template and import it back to the dummy project.

Note: The main intention is to assign all activity codes to activities without any logic, dates, durations... just dummy data that can be exported and imported to another database.

Rodney Jones
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Rodel,

No, I need the complete Table of Codes and Atributes. The attached graphic identifies all the TGPBI codes required and displays the number of different attributes availble for a single code.

Some of the codes have 200 attributes which would require 200 activities to be able to assign and capture and export and import. I am looking for a way to transfer the complete table (schema?).

Rod

tgpbi_codes_and_items_in_tower_span_attributes.png

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 8 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Hi Rod,

Import the XER file containing the set of activity codes you wish to transfer from one database to another. Ensure that the activity codes are set to 'Global' so they can be used in another project. During import, select only the activity codes to import and exclude any unnecessary activities and other data. If the activity codes are not already set as 'Global', convert them to 'Global' activity codes before exporting to XER. Otherwise, you will need to import including the project data and then convert the activity codes to 'Global' activity codes.