Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Production Planning Using P5

1 reply [Last post]
Q.M. Ismael
User offline. Last seen 9 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
I am doing Production Planning for 9 to 10 Disciplines as below for monthly more than 200 thousand man-hour mainly productivity manhorus.

Structural
Painting
Architectural
Panels / Laminations
Furniture
Doors/Windows
GRP
Electrical
HVAC
Piping/Plumbing

For Multiple jobs, Each Discipline has budgeted & actual man-hours, each discipline is a each resource accordingly. It is sorted based on activity codes (JOBCODE) so it is list of nearly 160 to 200 Jobs, Each job is having 2 to 10 Discipline differently. In this production planning each discipline is each activity. Each activity Is having on ACTIVITY CODE Called PRODUCTIVTY which is manual entering “actual/budgeted*Percentage” complete. When I group & sort all the projects having more than 1200 activities, in summary I get total budgeted & Actual man-hours, & Start & Finish Dates. But in % complete I am getting based on No of activity in that job group, if one activity is completed 40% in summary it show 40% percent but its not write as overall budget manhours it is 12% complete. In PRODUCTIVITY field it giving sum not the average. But one thing is the whole Production planning is based on manhours I dint assign no of resourced to each discipline one resource to each discipline so at the end we will know the forecast man-hour loading for all the discipline.

Awaits UR comments,

Thanks in advance

Replies

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 3 hours 46 min ago. Offline
Hi Q.M. Ismael,

I don’t quite understand your query, can you explain more details? What duration type and % complete type you used on your activity? You mention an Activity Code for Productivity and you have a manual input of “actual/budget*percentage”, what are you trying to attain on this? Actual/Budget is the percentage already why you need to multiply to percentage again? Is this the weighted percentage? Did you use user define field for this data?

Assuming that you have budget hrs or unit per activity and actual hrs updated every progress. If you set units as % complete type, you can display unit % complete and schedule % complete for your comparison or if you used Physical as % complete type you can display Performance % Complete. That should give you a correct result on your summary. You can also display Earned Value and Schedule Performance Index (PF or Productivity Factor “EV/Actual Hrs or unit”).

Regards,
Rodel