Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Anyone Using SDK?

8 replies [Last post]
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Is anyone out there using SDK to connect to P3e, P3e/c, or Teamplay? How is your performance? It takes me up to two minutes for me to log on using SDK. It also takes that long for each SQL query.

I have also connected directly to the databases using ADO and OLE. Connection time is less than a second and responses to queries are just as fast.

1) Am I doing something wrong with SDK? Is anyone out there getting better response times?

2) Did Primavera purposely cripple SDK so as to make competition difficult or impossible by using their own interconnectivity against them? Inquiring minds want to know.

Replies

Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Refer to here for more on this subject. Good luck!
Mario Sanvitale
User offline. Last seen 12 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
We don’t charge for the API any more, it was embedded from the release of V5 IIRC.
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Mario

Are you sure that API is no charge. I got a different message from Primavera Australia and my company brough 500 users licenses but still they want to charge us for $20,000 for a licese of API. Any PAR can clarify this

Alex
Mario Sanvitale
User offline. Last seen 12 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
For reference, the API is now included at no charge with Primavera. You will need to have a Primavera web environment though as it uses the same access as the Primavera web tools.
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Vu

Good to C you back in action.

SDK is the basic free of charge integration tool for P3e

API of course is "better" because it cost you money to actually purchase it so it better be "Perform better".

Alex
DANG CORP
User offline. Last seen 8 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
SDK login is slow, maybe due to the amount of PROJECT codes, resource codes you have etc. i have use SDK and API, SDK do gets slow when lots of global codes is loaded. SDK is not that bad, because you can use Microsoft technology to write your codes, any there is ways to improve the speed dramtically. (like multi threading, caching of the data). lots more. API is ok too, but only works with JAVA, if you have skills in Java, then go for API, it has more features and speed, You will need to purchase an extra license.
Shirish Borkar
User offline. Last seen 17 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

Have you heard about Primavera Integration Server APIs. API does all those things which SDK can do. It is faster than SDK and more robust. Suggest you to use API instead of SDK.
Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
We are using ADO to interface with the Primavera SDK for P3e and P3e/c. The performance is quite acceptable on our end. Connection and log-in takes roughly 5-15 seconds on my old 400Mhz P-II with Win 98 and a slow HD (when P3e is not already running).

It is quite reasonable to expect that connecting via the SDK will produce a performance hit over a direct connection. The SDK is adding another layer of processing. However, the SDK also offers some important functions and safety mechanisms to maintain the integrity of the data. I would not recommend altering the back-end data directly without the SDK.

Two minutes seems an awful long time to wait for a connection and log-in. I would guess that there is some issue in your case that needs examining.

BTW, in general, using ADO to manipulate a back-end database will never be as quick as using COM to manipulate data directly. Ie. you should not expect to automate P3e / P3e/c with the same speed that you could with P3. Its just the nature of the design structures.

Bernard Ertl
InterPlan Systems Inc. - Project Management Software, Project Planning Software