Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

relationship types

6 replies [Last post]
Sufian Malik
User offline. Last seen 17 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Is there any recommendation on using relationships in pm software. For example the difference between using FS with minus lag or SS with positive lag.

Or that oil/gas recommend ’laddering’ so activities with a start to start should also have a finish to finish to complete before moving to successor activity.

Any papers on the subject would be great

thanks

Replies

Marcio Sampaio
User offline. Last seen 11 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Alex,

I agree.

But I think that our frined is ahead of an specific case in that he could use both relationships he mentioned, and i think it is possible in specific cases like complementary activities.

Thinking in this possibility, i gave my suggestion.

Sometimes, when we read a msg, we have to interpret the question. Sometimes we do it right, sometimes we do it wrong. But i will always try to help inside of my possibilities.

Regards.
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Marcio

Please read the original message, "Is there any recommendation on using relationships in pm software?"

There is no perfer relationship, it should be the true logic between activity. ie you may able to achieve the same float between activity during planning stage. However, if the relationship is not set correct once there is progress then you may have out of sequence activities in your CPM.

Agree??

So it should be driven my the true nature between activities instead of perferred relationship in PM Softwarae

Alex
Marcio Sampaio
No one said that software will decide the best option.

Regards.
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Hi Gents

Sorry I have to said that it seem that you all got it wrong.

Its not the software driving the plan, its the true logic that is required to drive the plan.

You have to ask yourself, can I start the second activity before the first one finish, or can both start the same time with a time lag, Why there is a time lag, if the time lag is actually a activity. These are the question you have to ask yourself to do planning, the true logic behind the activity, not the software tell you which one to use.

Good Luck

ALex
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
User offline. Last seen 3 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Always Finish to Start relationship is the prefered relationship in PM, but you need to have fine level / detailed breakdown of activities in order to implement this relationship, during the absence of such information, one can tend to use FS with negative lag or SS / FF with positive lag both have their pros and cons.

HTH
Marcio Sampaio
My recommendation is:

Simulate the use of the two options and see which will go to reach the desired result.

Regards.