Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How to show critical Path for an updated activitie

5 replies [Last post]
Haresh Jayanth
User offline. Last seen 6 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Guys,

How to show critical path for an updated activites / already completed activities , when the project is in progress. to make my question clear i will given one example

Example

The substructure in a project is already completed. The balance is superstructure of the building. if i choose longest path it show critical path on balance activities ? My question is that how can i show critical path for activites which is already completed i.e. substructure as per the present progress of the site? Since the critical path may not be same when the critical activities are progressing ahead of schedule. in this case if i want to show critical path on already completed activites? How can i show it?

Replies

Sooraj G Othayoth
User offline. Last seen 16 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Alex,
thanks for the help.
On the expert help, can I get anything on the internet?
Regards
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Hi

As Ronald said this is what we call "As-built Critical Path" and it is a expertise on its own.

You may need to re-create the entire schedule base on its original logic and then unschedule all the AS AF and reschedule the plan base on its durations.... this is a long process and require a lot of other skill other than planning.

If the As Build CP is a claim related issue then better refer to the experts

Good Luck

Alex
Sooraj G Othayoth
Hi moderator,
Can we shift this thread to contract & claims management since it is more related to that forum.
regards
sooraj
Sooraj G Othayoth
Hi Ronald,
Can you please elaborate on how to arrive at the longest path from the updated program.
Can anyone suggest any links which can help me in finding more about as built critical path?
cheers
sooraj
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Haresh,

What you are asking for is the “As-Built Critical Path.” P5 is unequipped to display this. This is not a built-in function. There is one add-on software company that sells software for this.

Forensic Experts make a living out of identifying these As-Built Critical Path activities. It takes a lot of experience and knowledge of CPM to do this (hence, that is why they are called “experts.”) The AACEi sponsors a group dedicated to CPM forensic science (in fact, I believe that they are introducing a certification for this practice at next year’s conference.)

I know that I didn’t give you the answer that you wanted, but at least I hope that I gave you some ideas about the correct courses of action. Good luck!