Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Need Help Creating a Filter between Schedule Updates for Delayed Critical Path Activities

3 replies [Last post]
Chris Jenkins
User offline. Last seen 9 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello,

I am struggling to create a filter required by my owner between updates- below are the requirements:

"Activities within 14 calendar days of the critical path that were planned to occur during the updated period, but which did not occur or occurred later than the scheduled late start or late finish date, shall be identified and accompanied with an explanation for those delays."

Replies

Daniel Limson
User offline. Last seen 4 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Chris,

First, you need to define your critical activities in >Scheduling Options and second, you can use range or multiple filters to achieved the output you want in P6. If you are referring to the baseline, you can use the baseline start and finish dates and range of 2 weeks from data date.

Regards,

Daniel

Jerome Odeh
User offline. Last seen 1 week 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Chris,

You'd need to do this in Excel. Try the following steps.

1. Export your baseline schedule to Excel with the following fields: Activity ID, Activity Name, Start, Finish, Late Start, Late Finish & Total Float
  2. Also export your live schedule to Excel with the following fields: Activity ID, Activity Name, Actual Start, Actual Finish, % Complete
  3. Combine these 2 exports into one workbook with 2 worksheets (tabs): Baseline & Live
  4. Add a third worksheet, lets call this Delays and in this third spreadsheet, using a combination of the following functions: IF, VLOOKUP and INDEX & MATCH, display activities from Live worksheet that meet either of the following 3 conditions:
    1. Baseline dates are within 14 days of critical path (i.e less than or equal to Total Float of 14) AND within reporting Period AND % Complete equal to 0
    2. Baseline dates are within 14 days of critical path (i.e less than or equal to Total Float of 14) AND within reporting Period AND % Complete not equal to 0 and Actual Start greater than Baseline Start
    3. Baseline dates are within 14 days of critical path (i.e less than or equal to Total Float of 14) AND within reporting Period AND % Complete not equal to 0 and Actual Finish greater than Baseline Finish

You will need to present your results in Excel.

=jerome

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 46 weeks ago. Offline

I don't think it's doable just with filters -I don't think the baseline late dates are a field you can filter on.

You could probably manage it by exporting your baseline to excel & re-importing BL late dates as user date fields (which are filterable)