Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

About Baseline and additional task

3 replies [Last post]
Zakir Saari
User offline. Last seen 11 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Good Day

I have drawn up a plan or programme and once it is approved and signed off, I save the baseline and show it on the Gantt chart.

What is the correct way to manage the programme if during the course of the project, additional tasks crop up and need to be added, as they might influence the critical path. If I add them in later, that means they are not part of the original baseline and appear as blanks. Do I then select these "new" tasks and save the baseline again? I don’t want the original baseline finish to shift.

I hope what I am asking makes sense?

Replies

Rashid Iqbal
User offline. Last seen 1 year 40 weeks ago. Offline
Baseline is a formal document and can’t be changed without going through the change management process. Changes should be incorporated in the ‘current schedule’ and if it is delaying the critical path then the delay has to be evaluated for an extension of time or acceleration. Once approved the current version will be converted to a baseline say BL-0002.

Let me know if you have any questions. thanks.

R
Shah. HB
User offline. Last seen 20 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Hi Zakir

Remember that any baseline is not 100% concrete,depending on the project team and field condition the baseline tends to change and hence becomes dynamic nature.

The new task which you have come across can be incorporated in the baseline and keep updating and check the status of the project finish date.

Every time you update the schedule based on the nature of input the critical path tends to change ,keep an eye in it always
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 7 weeks 50 min ago. Offline
Hi Zakir

In P3 I beleive they are called "target" programmes.

How many Targets can P3 display?

Perhaps you can "Target" only the new tasks and display both on the chart.

In modern software such as PowerProject you can "merge" new tasks into the existing Baseline.

Best regards

Mike Testro