Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Critical Path - setting the last activity that finishes

7 replies [Last post]
smithie johnny
User offline. Last seen 15 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Is it possible to set the Critical Anaylsis to finish at a certain activity, even though there are activities that will logically driven after a certian activity. But these activities aren’t critical and can occur whenever after this "certain" activity. This is in P3.

Replies

Zubaer Shariff
User offline. Last seen 2 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Mr. Naveen,
I think the bigger the schedule the more important critical becomes to control teh project. If you are using Primavera, the size of schdule is not of much importance.
Naveen Subbaiah
User offline. Last seen 13 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Ron,

I stopped reading the paper when it said its for normal sized schedules of 500 activities & over a limited period of one month. Most of the schedules that we deal with are more than 5000 to 10,000 activities. So how practical is to deal with schedules of this size when I want to determine what was the critical path ?

Regards
Naveen
Zubaer Shariff
User offline. Last seen 2 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
I think there is another quick fix to this probelm.
Just create a Mandatory Contraint on activity on which you want the ctirical path to stop. All activities after this activity will have a float based on thier successors.
smithie johnny
User offline. Last seen 15 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Ronald

I can’t thank you enough.

1) The answer was spot on and simple to implement.
2) The response time was amazing. I think only an hour lapsed.
3) In addition to resolving my question your paper gave me a lot better understanding on CPM and Longest Path.

Thank you again.
Regards
J
A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Ronald,

That was gr8,

All printed, read and glued to.......

This is something, which u can force the contractor to do, if u r working from a client side.

But, if u r from contractor side, then client will never accept these dummy activities, as these activities to be removed later on, will act as a float and client may be object to add these activities.

neway, gr8 paper.

:-)

Rav
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks Ron,

Another ammo to bark planning jockeys.

Actually, bright ideas to promote the fraternity of planning engineers.

I copied all.

Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
There is a simple trick that you can do that will achieve this. Look to my paper, "Managing Multiple Milestones" presented at the AACEi 2005 Annual Conference on the web at http://ronwinterconsulting.com/published.htm for guidance. Good luck!