Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Target vs Actual Progress Delay Comparison/Analysis(P3)

9 replies [Last post]
Velmon Capanayan
User offline. Last seen 13 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Hello and Gooday!

the target has been set and I am updating the actual progress, I have some activity that was not started/completed during the progress update (that is supposed to be started /completed based on the target), meaning I have some delays, due to this my project completion was delayed also. What was the best solution on this? I don’t want to show that im behind schedule.

Thanks
Elmo

Replies

Ashraf Jahangeer
User offline. Last seen 8 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Velmon,

As everybody else poited out, it is not recommended to change the logic or duration as was agreed by everybody(baseline). However sometomes we can make minor changes in the logic Like FS to SS with lag taking consent of our Construction/Execution team.

Make sure whatever changes you make there is someone who will stand behind you. Once you get a chancne to re-baseline you can reflect these changes also.

Best of luck to you.

Regards,

Ashraf
A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Hi dieter,

Not in UAE, but way back in home country v used to have MONTHLY REVIEW MEETINGS (MRM) for all projects for a particular region.

V need to quantify the work done, not only in terms of % completion, but also in terms of shuttering, reinforcement, concreting and other major items.

Any delay in the project and the works specified above need to be justified by the PM / Planning Engineer. Also, if there is any delay wherein cost implications are involved, then v need to forecast additional funding requirements from HO.

In those meetings, at least PE need to show skills and time to prevent his own skin from getting burnt.

Cheers,

Rav
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Velmon
One day the delay will be obvious for the client as well. As you explained, you tried everything to catch up but there is no chance.
What will happen, after the delay will be known? In most of the cases PM will point at you and declare, that he wasn’t informed and you’ll be fired.
Is there a regular project meeting, where you can show the delay and it’s consequences?
Good luck
Dieter
Zhang Haixiang
User offline. Last seen 3 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi,

I understand your situation.

PM don’t want to show the delay. It’s easy to do some paper work to have a nice schedule, but it does not help the project.

You can shorten the duration or change the logic when the project is ongoing. We call this changed schedule catch-up schedule.

whatever you do, make sure let the PM know the current actual status of the project, e.g. the current delay, the changes you made to the schedule, is the catch-up schedule reasonable?...
Bijaya Bajracharya
User offline. Last seen 8 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Programme is the crystal ball of status of project. Even if a Project Manager is trying to hide delay or any such thing, the updated programme should pick up such things and flag up the problems. Programme is a management tool to complete the project in time and budget.

Velmon Capanayan
Dayani Thanks for the inputs. However my I have nothing to do with the resources since I already maximized the allocation and level the resource. And also the affected activities and successors becomes critical since it drives now the new actual dates. What I wanted to do is (if only possible) to hide this delay and not being noticed or manipulate if possible (how???) , as can be done in MS Project.
Velmon Capanayan
Zhang Thanks. I can’t show the delay and the PM will not allow since it was not justifiable, it was on our side. Is it possible to shorten the duration and change the logic during the execution phase? For what I know the adjustment is being done during planning phase/setting the baseline? Also take note that, the project is already running for 6 months, and it was delayed for 3 months. Please enlighten me.
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
User offline. Last seen 3 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
you can always have a chance to check whether the planned activity is having any float, if not admit the delay and inform your PM to adjust your resources to finish it in lesser duration than the Original Planned Duration and try to see whether you reduce your delay in the next update. whatelse one can do on this matter?.
Zhang Haixiang
User offline. Last seen 3 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

It’s better to show the delay because you are in delay.

the solution is to make a copy of your schedule, then trace back from the project completion through the critical path to see if there are some improvements can be done e.g. shorten the duration of some activities or change the logic...

make sure all these changes should be discussed with your team, and approved.