Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Help - Can’t restore P3 to a new computer

7 replies [Last post]
Richard Ting
User offline. Last seen 18 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear all - need your kind help...
I just got a new laptop from the company that had P3 v3.1 installed. I tried to restore the compressed backup file from the old computer to the new one, and it seemed the backups could be extracted to all P3 files with no problem.
But when I tried to open it from the folder as usual, it just couldn’t find the project! how come the "open a project" window was blank while the P3 files are all right there in the folder?? Any help or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

Richard Ting
Thanks Jorge. Pe sounds interesting. I’ll do some research on that.
Jorge Taguinod
User offline. Last seen 2 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
There should be no problem with transferring files. However, check if your file folder is too deep. I recommend you put your projects back to the c:\p3win\projects directory.

As for p3e / p3e/c or PE (it’s all the same), now it’s called the Primavera Enterprise Project Management module (PE/PM module). You really have to move up to this because:
1. It’s much much more powerful.
2. It’s easier to use.
3. When MS OS decides not to support 16-bit software, P3 won’t run anymore (and you’re out of work).

The Primavera PM module can handle risks, thresholds, notebooks, monitor budgets, spread budgets across projects in the enterprise, company resources can be shared across projects. One file for all projects (as against 24 files per P3 project).

The perspective of the PE user is organization-wide while that of the P3 user’s is only project wide.
Richard Ting
The problem remains but thank you all anyway for the help.

Bill - I WAS a registered user but not any longer. The company I’m working with transfered to suretrak which is much cheaper. I like P3 better but what can I say?? and don’t even think about P3e...
Alex - I tried P3Fix but it didn’t work. Maybe I’ll try again and see if can get any luck.
Ronald - you are right. Now I understand why primavera license has an expiration date. :( You wanna keep working properly? Pay more and renew your license! btw, does anyone knows about P3e/c? I’m wondering how it works comparing with the traditional P3.
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Unfortunately, moving P3 to a new computer is an on-going issue. Your new XP operation system has been changed to make it harder for 16-bit software like P3 to work with it. Take a look at past forums for more information on this.

http://www.planningplanet.com/forum/forum_post.asp?Cat=2&Top=1499 and
http://www.planningplanet.com/forum/forum_post.asp?Cat=2&Top=9571.

Good luck!
Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
[Deleted by Moderator.]
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Hi

Have you try to restore the file and use P3FIX or run a batch to regenerate the list of files.

Cheers

Alex
Bill Guthrie
User offline. Last seen 7 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Oh yes, thats p3. this stops bootlegs.

Recommend you call primavera and advise them and they will help you.
If you are not a registered user you are outta luck.

cheers bill