Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Citrix implemented p6 - I can't assign another project as a baseline & can't figure out why - any ideas?

4 replies [Last post]
John Reeves
User offline. Last seen 1 week 1 day ago. Offline
Groups: None

Here is what I think it has to do with - the default setting for each project is "shared".  I change it to exclusive it to exclusive and open it.  But when I close and look at it again all the files default back to shared.  My guess is that P6 is not letting you make a shared file a baseline.  I have no way to keep it exclusive - is this a citrix thing?  is this a admin thing.  I have used P6 for 30 thirty at 25 different places but am new on this setup.  I am not an admin person.  Any ideas?

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

to turn off auto calc in P6

go to tools schedule 

then options 

then in the top part 4th item down uncheck the box that says scheduel automatically when a change affects dates

also if you are using a citrix I would recommend preseing the F10 function key from time to time this will save your work

it is the same as selecting file Commit Changes

John Reeves

OK, I answered my own question there - so how about this one - what can you turn off in P6 to make it run faster?  I know you should turn off the line drawing.  I know in p3, excel, etc you can turn off the auto calc.  I think it is default off in P6 - I don't know even how turn on autocalc if it has it.  But I am working in citrix and constantly seeing the hour glass just to move row to row.  Its not the internet, just looking to make sure there is not a calc of nothing going on.  ie no resources - but it might be calcing in case there are or something.

John Reeves

OK, I answered my own question there - so how about this one - what can you turn off in P6 to make it run faster?  I know you should turn off the line drawing.  I know in p3, excel, etc you can turn off the auto calc.  I think it is default off in P6 - I don't know even how turn on autocalc if it has it.  But I am working in citrix and constantly seeing the hour glass just to move row to row.  Its not the internet, just looking to make sure there is not a calc of nothing going on.  ie no resources - but it might be calcing in case there are or something.

John Reeves

OK, this one is on me.  For whatever reason I was not used to seeing the "maintain" choices rolled up to the top EPS element, once I clicked on that it opened up and the choices were there.   I think I was quick to think it was the system due admin and citrix issues in the past when on a new system.