Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Why can't I just simply add a budgeted Total Cost to an existing schedule?

9 replies [Last post]
John Reeves
User offline. Last seen 1 week 2 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

I have used P3 forever (20 years), just switching to P6...at least the cost part...

Why can't I just simply add a budgeted Total Cost to an existing schedule?  This schedule was made by somebody else...somehow the cost appear when you add resource units, but I can add the same units for the same resource and the Budgeted Total Costs are different?  I would like to just add the costs, if it were just dollar per unit that would be fine but for some reason they are using $10/unit?

While I'm asking here are 4 quick things I haven't figured out since switching full time:

The filter (& maybe layout) stays the same when I switch projects - I want the one that I used last in that project...

The calendar names in this project are sometimes different than what I can choose...that is crazy...I don't see how somebody can give you a project but you cannot match their calendar names...

I miss P3, so far I have found no advantages...except that it will run on a 64 bit machine...

Replies

Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 12 weeks ago. Offline

You are most welcome John. if there are any further issues, please get back to me.

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 32 weeks 18 hours ago. Offline
John, You can just type any budgeted cost distributed at an interval as you wish using the bucket budgeting. Regards,
John Reeves

I will try these suggestions and get back to you.  Thanks again, & hope to contribute soon.

Arnold Puy

Dear Rafael,

I am sorry for the late reply. I have a problem with my server connection that's why I cannot attach the other image properly.

But anyway, thank you so much Rafael, I'm glad to be back here at PP after taking a break for almost three (3) years.

Well, If I understood you correctly, you need to customize the Resource Tab by displaying the other column on it. If that is so, then please refer to below image. All you have to do is to right click on the open space of the resource tab then select Customize Resource Columns…

1.png

2.png

Yes Rafael, I agree with you. As you mentioned it is very useful for the P6 users for having the right and left pane in resource tab just like what relationship tab has. I think Oracle Primavera is going to introduce additional features and more enhancement in a near future for the benefits of all users.

If I miss something from your questions please tell me. Thanks

P.S.

Rafael, if you need to know more about Primavera tips and tricks please do not hesitate to PM or email me at primavera6v8@outlook.com anytime and I am willing to help. I can send you a lot of steps.

Cheers,

Arnold

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 2 hours 15 min ago. Offline

Arnold

It is always good to hear from you.  Maybe you can teach some tricks with regard to customizing the Resource Tab that although I am not proficient with P6 I believe can be of help.  It is possible most of what is needed and can be edited within the tab is not shown on the default setting.

Some fields like resource type shall be included as well as cost account.  Here your recommendations can be of great value.  As far as I recall P3 had a Cost Tab that was not customizable, P6 seems like consolidated cost and resource tabs.   Because this can make the amount of columns large if I were a P6 user in my wish list there would be some functionality to use scrolling panes where I can decide what fields are to be on left pane and what are to be on the right pane.

From the reference:

photo p6costloading_zpsf0dbc0ba.jpg

Well this is as far as I can go. 

Best Regards,

Rafael

Arnold Puy

Thanks for the following link Rafael. It really helps a lot to the PP members.

Arnold Puy

Hi John,

To be able to enter manually your desired budgeted cost, you need to uncheck the “Auto Compute Actuals” and “Calculate costs from units” under the Resources Directory Bars à Details Tab, the reason is, if you will not uncheck the above, the calculation of your budgeted cost is equal to Budgeted Units x Price/Unit. In your case, you assigned $10/unit.

Please refer to the attached image.

cost1.png

cost2.png

The other reason as well is, if you enter manually the budgeted cost without removing the check next to the checkbox of the above, say $5k you will end up with zero budgeted cost after recalculating it or changing the original duration if your Price/Unit equal to zero.

With regards to layout, by default Primavera will be using the same layout as previously assigned to other project. It’s an easy task by just clicking the Layout Option Bar and select the layout you wish to open.

Calendar, I think you miss something, as long as you assigned the calendar to the project it does not change the name. However, if you import a new project with the same calendar name of the existing project then it will update the existing calendar to the newly imported calendar associated with project. In order to avoid this sort of scenario, it is recommended to create and use a project calendar rather than global calendar.

cal.png

You mentioned about web version. Yes, it is the EPPM, Primavera Enterprise Project Portfolio Management as shown below.

eppm.png

Cheers,

Arnold

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 2 hours 15 min ago. Offline

http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/portals/8/docs/contractors/ABP%20CST%20P6%20Narrative%20and%20Attachments%20v1.6.pdf

http://www.nflaace.org/index_files/john_orr_cost_loaded_schedule_updating_pdf.pdf

http://www.ronwinterconsulting.com/P6_Databases_Level_1.pdf

I am not a P6 user but hope the above references can give you some help.  One regarding cost loading I just found, another regarding some issues when updating cost loaded schedules, an issue that is not software dependent and the last regarding the database. 

Good Luck.

John Reeves

I guess I should add that I am using P6 8.2 Release 8.2.0 (Build #: 1926), - non Web edition if that is a thing.  My company just bought this, I thought there was an 8.3 - I wonder how they ended up with 8.2.  -  I keep looking up stuff on the internet but it seems like all the versions have different menus..., seems like there is web version or something, but I don't know if that if for end users or what...