Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Corrupted P3 Files

15 replies [Last post]
Scott Tate
User offline. Last seen 15 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Has anyone evr received defective P3Win sofware and had to have it replaced due it corrupting project files? I have a master project file with 7000+ activities that has somehow become corrupted in the calendar, graphics, and probably other files I have not yet found. Primavera Technical Support does not know what is causing this but believes it is an incompatibility issue between Windows XP and P3’s Btrieve. This has happened to me twice in the last 4 months and I am ready to make the conversion to P3e/c. If anyone has experienced this type of problem, please forward your exeperiences as soon as possible.

Replies

Scott Tate
Joy,

Initially, the corrupted files were detected last March. I contacted Primavera Technical Support and spent several hours on the phone while they walked me through how to batch the project file to remove corruption.
The second time the corruption was detected, last month (July), I e-mailed the project file to Primavera Technical Support, requested they batch to remove corruption, and save with XER format so I could transfer into P3e. Incidentally, the second time the corruption occurred, it was on the same file that had been "cleaned" in March, but with more activities added since March. After receiving the project file back from Primavera, I imported it into P3e. Primavera cautioned me to not open this file into P3Win because it might become contaminated again.
I have installed P3e on my computer and took the 3 day training class several weeks ago. Since I have been a Primavera user since it was in Dos, I have found the transition to P3e easy. The switch to P3e seems to have solved this problem as I have imported the "clean" project file into P3e, have updated it, and have had no problems. Everyday use of P3Win had become slow because simple things such has printing out schedules took much longer than normal. So, besides activities defying logic when I updated, it had become time consuming to even print out a schedule. It seems then, that the incompatibility issue between P3Win and Windows worsened as my schedule size grew. One Primavera Support Technician told me that the incompatibility issue between Windows and P3Win is minimal when the schedule is small, but as the schedule grows in size, the issues between the operating system and the software become much more obvious. If I can help with this any further, just e-mail me and I will forward my telephone number.
Joy Fernandes
User offline. Last seen 8 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Scott, Similar problem here.Please advise on steps you tryed to solve your problem.May be mine is not complex as yours.
Scott Tate
The solution to my problem has been to make the transition to P3e. The issue appears to have been an incompatibility problem between Windows and P3. P3 Technical Support alluded to this, but no one really knows and have no way of finding out. I have taken the 3 day course in P3e and so far am glad I have made the move. Although I will probably encounter nuances with P3e as I progress, ultimately the corrupted file issue has been resolved and so the saga ends.
MK TSE
User offline. Last seen 3 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Do the same P3 installation on other machine, compare the number and version of window system file.
My experience is on Pervasive installation, the outcome within my organization is different to Primavera UK setup, although same os and same version.
Scott Tate
I am wondering also if my problem is due to missing or corrupted Windows operating files. I am at the point of making the switch to P3e/c even though I prefer to stay with P3Win. If I can’t figure out the problem I don’t know what other choice I have.
MK TSE
Some Window system files may affect P3 performance.
My experience is after install Pervasive as P3 data engine, some Window system files will loss or down grade. I put them back by manual.
Scott Tate
Yes, I have sent the file to P3Tech Support to batch and render clean. I have the last P3 service pack installed as well. Our IT department does not think it is a hardware issue. This is the only machine we have loaded P3 on, so possibly it is a Windows issue on this machine or a hardware issue, who knows? I should receive the batched files shortly and Tech Support has advised me to import into P3e/c and then do any restoration of codes, logic, etc. If I load this file into P3e/c and still have corruption I’ll have never left square one. I will definitely share the solution if we can ever find it.
Bill Guthrie
User offline. Last seen 7 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Wow scott, sounds like a major problem, and cannot for the life of me figure out why.

only other suggestion is download service pacs from p3, and install then update your platform .

good luck on this one, we will all learn if you share the last results.
perhaps primavera will send you an new installation disc.

also , you might send your schedule to primavera and let them look at it. perhaps they can debug.

good luck bill
MK TSE
Further, is same project on other machine function well? I try to eliminate the problem source, software side or hardware side or data side.
MK TSE
Have you installed any other applications which use Btrieve as data engine? Btrieve may be in difference version.
Also, some Window system files may corrupted/different version and cause problem.
Scott Tate
I am the only user and it is a stand alone version on my machine. I also have not been able to open multiple projects simulatenously without P3 locking up and automatically shutting down. I have gone through the re-install process for P3 previously, but nothing seems to prevent the corruption or the lock up problem.
MK TSE
Is the project is opened by one user or in sharing mode.
My experience: If the project is in sharing mode (4 or more user at the same time), especially large scale project, the project is corrupted ’easily’ and frequently. Pervasive is recommended.
Scott Tate
I ran the batch on this file when corruption occurred previously and then ran P3fix everday afterwards. Unfortunately this has not fixed the problem. Last time I had the batch run it deleted activity codes that I had to re-enter. This time the corruption is causing the schedule to ignore the calendar and logic and has caused the colors on the screen to be different than the printout. I talked to P3 tech support again this morning and no one has an answer for what is causing the corruption. It does not appear to be a hardware releated issue as I have no other problems with any other software. This appears to be an anomoly that no one has ever experienced nor knows the answer. Thanks for your input.
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 5 weeks ago. Offline

If pfx does not fix the problems then you could use Batch. Batch takes the file back to text format and recreates a new project from the text file. The programme in its basic format is a bit tricky if you have not done any programming, but there is an automated version that was available from Primavera Systems. Search under the Knowledgebase for Batch, there should be something there or it may be on the later install CDs.

It may not be your load if you are working on a poor network. I have experienced this issue with one client and I just batched the file every so often.

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Planning and Scheduling Book Publishers, Training & Consulting
www.eh.com.au
Bill Guthrie
User offline. Last seen 7 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
have you run file fix??

that corrects it

go to PROGS file if thats where your files are loaded
and look for PFXW.EXE

run it, it fixes the files. Will help you before you make the mistake of going ot P3e. thats a bad move.

Cheers Bill