Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Resource Dictionary & Crtitical Path

10 replies [Last post]
Ulkutan Cimen
User offline. Last seen 10 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Hello I've had two problems in P3 that I couldn't resolve. Maybe someone knows if there's a way: 1 - Can I import a resource dictionary to a P3 project from a spreadsheet? (I know I can import resource data and it will fill the resource dictionary with the resource names, but the units, costs and limits won't be filled) 2 - How do I filter the activities on the critical path when critical path is defined as the longest path? Thanks in advance for the replies.

Replies

Hussain Hussain
User offline. Last seen 10 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi All,

I would like to write Quality and Safety Policies for my company. Therfore, Should I or my company be ISO certified to write and implement such policies??? Please advise.

Your response highly appreciated.

Sivasankari Thiya...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 17 weeks ago. Offline

I WANT TO KNOW HOW TO LEVEL RESOURSE IN PRIMAVERA P6

Ali Hamouda
User offline. Last seen 7 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Mr.Collen I am facing troubles in excel sheets utility working with p3.( I doubt may be the files are old). If you can send for me these files,It will be good help from you. thanks Ali ----------------------------
Ali Hamouda
User offline. Last seen 7 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Hi, 1-the solution of the first problem is: if you go to tools and Update data dictionary, you will find all the items that are built in the data base of P3, including cost and unit and any other Item,you have to use the standard names that built in the P3 for the cost and units. to do that you have to export a standard file with the standard names first then fill in the form and then import the file with it is new data to p3. other wise you can make custom data Item by with the fields cost,unit..etc. 2- the second problem, when you go to filter there is an option to add filter over filter,there's three option append , add and replace. Best Luck Ali ---------------------------------------
Ulkutan Cimen
User offline. Last seen 10 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Cheers for all the quick replies. Tomas, that Longest Path criteria in the filter specification answers me, thank you, I have just missed it, it seems. Jeff and Colin, thanks for letting me know about those macros. I use P3 v 2.0b, it still has project.xls in it. I am working on it, my first few trials were unsuccessful. I may contact you if necessary. Daryl, I am not a very good at Access yet so I will keep your reply for future reference. And Reynaldo, I've got a bit too many resources in my current project, I was trying to avoid the time I would consume to build the resource dictionary. Thanks for your concern.
Colin Cropley
User offline. Last seen 5 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
On the P3 3.1 CD, there is a folder called \UTILS\Excel. In that folder, there are two files: PROJECT.XLS & ProjectMod.XLS. These are macro driven and access the underlying P3 database to enable the user to manipulate and add to the various P3 dictionaries in Excel and put them back into the P3 project. If you do not have the 3.1 CD, send me an email and I can email the file to you. Regarding the critical path filter question, if you sort by TF, you will get the most critical activities first, usually all part of the one critical path. If you have mixed calendars and thus the TF changes through the longest path, you will get fragments of the path with different TF values, corresponding to the different calendar activities. You will then have to check the dependencies to see how the path links between the various mixed calendar activities. Grouping by calendar may help work this out. Regards Colin Cropley
Daryl Walcroft
User offline. Last seen 14 years 1 week ago. Offline
There are some very good Excel macros out there that allow a relatively seamless interface between Excel and Primavera. However, I find the best results are obtained using and ODBC link from Access, This type of link allows all information held in the BTRIEVE database to be dynamically updated through MS Access. E-mail me if you want more details.
Reynaldo Durana
User offline. Last seen 18 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
I think you can not import resource dictionary in P3 from spreadsheet including the Price/Unit & limits.but for me you can just input manually the price/unit & limits for every resource name & it is not time consuming operation because in a project usually we don’t have so many resource name to be loaded in P3 or if you have similar project before you can transfer the resource dictionary to the new project & edit if there’s some inconsistency. Your question #2 about filtering the longest path it was replied already.
Tomas Rivera
User offline. Last seen 5 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Ulku: Regarding your question number 2. In the Filter Specification window, you can choose a schedule parameter called "longest path". I hope this was your question. Tomas Rivera
Jeff Williamson
User offline. Last seen 22 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
On the P3 CD you will find a excel macro that can populate the resource dictionary. Look for "project.xls". I would suggest doing a few test runs before doing it for real.