Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Project performance metrices for a portfolio of projects

7 replies [Last post]
Evgeny Z.
User offline. Last seen 38 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear all, I am just wondering whether there are any accepted metrics for tracking a schedule-related performance of a group of projects, rather than an individual project. E.g. for example for an individual project there is a Schedule Performance Index. But what about a group of projects? Is there anything like that? We have to assume that if we have a portfolio of active projects, then at each individual given moment of time all projects will be at a different period of their life. Some of them will be just starting, others will be about to be finished.

Replies

Lv Grace
User offline. Last seen 2 years 35 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Evgeny, good question, I have the same question. 

the all the subproject in different EPC phase, it is best to use the project cost as the project weightage for performance index.

but for me, I need measure the project in the same phase, and each subproject executes team is from different region, or the same region but different team, how to measure their performance? if you want to do the portfolio, the projects coding is a challenge. I am wanting the Mega/Complex project coding structure.

all, if you have any solution ,pls. give me a suggestion.

Best Regards,

Evgeny,

project portfolio has its own success criteria like NPV, IRR or something else.

Estimating portfolio performance look what happens with the portfolio success criteria forecasts.

Evgeny,

project portfolio has its own success criteria like NPV, IRR or something else.

Estimating portfolio performance look what happens with the portfolio success criteria forecasts.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

you can take all of you project add them together and then tivided by the total number of projects  

or 

you can take each individual project and give them a weight. Then determine your overall performance based on the weighted average. 

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

you can take all of you project add them together and then tivided by the total number of projects  

or

you can take each individual project and give them a weight. Then determine your overall performance based on the weighted average. 

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 1 day 2 hours ago. Offline

It should be the same matrics of whatever standard that your company is using. It will just elevated to a higher level.

Bian Mutang Tagal
User offline. Last seen 1 year 30 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Evgeny,

It's true that any given moment of time each project will be at a different phase. However, assuming each project in a group of projects are assigned their own baseline then a set of PV (Planned Value) and EV (Earned Value) values corresponding to each project could also be calculated. At the WBS level that contains all these projects, the PV and EV can be aggregated based on cost, and thus the overall SPI calculated.

So PV =  ΣBCWS

where ΣBCWS = Budgeted Cost of Work Scheduled for all projects as of the data date (which should be the same for all projects)

and EV =  ΣBCWP

where ΣBCWP = Budgeted Cost of Work Performed for all projects as of the data date