Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Forecast Manhours Calculation - Engineering Deliverable

11 replies [Last post]
Jithin Kambhikanam
User offline. Last seen 1 week 5 hours ago. Offline

Hello Everyone,

Can anyone explain how to calcualte the Forecast MAnhours for a Engineering Document/Delvierables. Say for Example

DeliverableBudgeted ManhoursPlanned %Actual %Earned ManhoursActual ManhoursForecasted Manhours
 ABCDEF
Tank Foundation Drawing10035%5%512?

Regards

Jithin

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 days 20 hours ago. Offline
Groups: None

just add it and admit that it was missed 

Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
The problem is misconception. Firstly, your "forecast" is your budget or baseline and you don't change your budget in every update. Otherwise, your schedule will become endless or cannot be measured.
Jithin Kambhikanam

Hi Zoltan,

So how to handle such a situation. 

If it was already in the scope but was missed when calculating the weightage, but now you have to add it as it is part of Progress Measurement.

So how can we do that ?

Regards

Jithin

Zoltan Palffy

right its still the ORIGINAL SCOPE no chnage order

Jithin Kambhikanam

Ya Zoltan, Thats for sure.

Say a situation in which you were supposed to make 10 Drawings but the Dicipline Engineer thought that there is only 8 Drawings and gave the manhours for making the same say 80 Hours.

But during execution he comes to know he needs to make 10 Drawings and adds the drawing. by then the Planning Engineer made a register which captures the progress of 8 Dawings and now this additional 2 drawings needs to be added. So in this situation the progress needs to be captured and its not a Change Order.

So can you give us a idea of how to handle such a situation.

Regards

Jithin

Zoltan Palffy

if you add anything then the total changes which means the number that you divide by increase and all numbers are reduced becasue there are now more elments that need to be divided by the total.

Jithin Kambhikanam

Thanks Zoltan,

So that is the use of Schedule Performance Index (SPI) ie Earned/ Actual = Budgeted / SPI.

As posted posted by one of the other Person posted, if one more deliverable is added to the register how would you account the weightage for that.

• Would be using the exisiting hours or
  • Or add new hours which increases the Total Manhours which would simultaneously decrease the weightage of all the other deliverable.

Regards

Jithin

boozi ghalamoo
User offline. Last seen 5 years 7 weeks ago. Offline

hi 

I have got a question.in case of adding new document to document list,I need to asiign weight factors and it is gonna impact on total wight factor,can anyone clarify that is it correct to change the total weight factor after adding new docuemnts or I need to keep the total constant by using buffer?

boozi ghalamoo
User offline. Last seen 5 years 7 weeks ago. Offline

hi 

I have got a question.in case of adding new document to document list,I need to asiign weight factors and it is gonna impact on total wight factor,can anyone clarify that is it correct to change the total weight factor after adding new docuemnts or I need to keep the total constant by using buffer?

Zoltan Palffy

if nothing changes the ratio is 12 to 5 meaning for every 12 hours that you spend you only earn 5 so at this rate the calculation would be 95 remaining budgeted hours. Therefore 95/5 =19 remainiing 5% increments to get to 100. That means 19X12 = 228 forecasted manhours remaining.

another way to look at is is 95X12=1140 manhours / by 5 manhours that you earn is 228 manhours

The total foreacted manhours would be 228 remaining plus 12 manhours already spent = 240 

this is straight math 

bryc ali
User offline. Last seen 1 year 25 weeks ago. Offline

Could you explain what you are looking for ? if you want an analysis I can tell tou that you have a problem with you SV ans CV, because : SV= 5-35 = -30 and CV= 5-12= -7 you are late in time and cost budget.