Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Schedule of payment in program

7 replies [Last post]
VINOD KUMAR
User offline. Last seen 7 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi, I need a help as I have to integrate SOP in my schedule. Some of SOP are like 20% completion of shop drawings, 80% completion of procurement etc. Please advise me how to link these SOP milestones in my schedule.

Replies

Kannan CP
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Hi Mike & Sunil

As per the hammock or Level of Effort method you suggested, I believe that the hammock activity progress will be calculated based on the remaining duration and it may not match with the real drawings submitted and approved.

So I have the opinion that it can be calculated with EV method as follows;

1. Consider the budget of shop drawings as 60%for submittal and 40% for approval.

2.Create the WBS as below;

Shop Drawings Submission & Approval

Submission

Civil

Mech

Elect

and similar for Approval as well.

3. Assign the above said budget value for each activity.

4. While updating the project, input the progress value considering the revisions and approvals.

The updated programme will  show the rolled-up summary.

Regards

Kannan

Kannan CP

Hi Mike & Sunil

As per the hammock or Level of Effort method you suggested, I believe that the hammock activity progress will be calculated based on the remaining duration and it may not match with the real drawings submitted and approved.

So I have the opinion that it can be calculated with EV method as follows;

1. Consider the budget of shop drawings as 60%for submittal and 40% for approval.

2.Create the WBS as below;

Shop Drawings Submission & Approval

Submission

Civil

Mech

Elect

and similar for Approval as well.

3. Assign the above said budget value for each activity.

4. While updating the project, input the progress value considering the revisions and approvals.

The updated programme will  show the rolled-up summary.

Regards

Kannan

Sunil Babu
User offline. Last seen 4 years 37 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Vinod,

First of all make the activities such as Civil shop drawings, Mechanical shop drawings, Electrical shop drawings etc. Then create a hammock, add individual percentages for each activity. Hammock bar will show the overall percentage. Then you will be able to judge the 20% milestone.

Best Regards,

Sunil Babu

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Vinod

Put all your shop drawing tasks under a hammock.

As each drawing is completed the cumulative progress will be shown on the hammock bar.

You will see when 20% is reached.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Kannan CP

Hi Vinod,

In my opinion you need to agree with client how to quantify or define the percentage of shop drawings.

For eg: Civil has 50 SDs, Mechanical 25SDs and Electrical 25SDs. Based on construction works, you need to prioritize the sequence of drawings for each discipline. Then identify the completion date of 20% SDs for each discipline. Assign a resource for that activity, say-SOP and assign the 20% cost to that activity.

There may be the problem to calculate the progress with the above method. Because with the payment milestone, you can show the progress- only when you achieve the milestones, not during the time of execution.

BR

Kannan

VINOD KUMAR
User offline. Last seen 7 years 39 weeks ago. Offline

Software used is Primavera P6 (15.2)

Suppose there schedule of Payment is like below :

1. Complete 20% Shop Drawings

2. Complete 60% Shop Drawings

3. Complete 100% Shop Drawings

But the main issue is shop drawings are breakdown into discipline wise and how we will relate this shop drawing progress to this SOP milesone.

I have to complete SOP 1 when 20% of Shop Drawings are completed. How to relate this milestone to Shop drawing progress.

Depends on the way you will measure these percents.

What is 80% of procurement?, what is 20% of shop drawings?

Please specify your software. I can advise how it could be modeled in Spider Project but if you use another software it is useless because the same methods are not supported by other tools.