Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Recovery Plan

9 replies [Last post]
Mildrid Fabian
User offline. Last seen 8 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I am stuck on what I am doing currently because I do not know how to start doing the recovery program. I completed the update on the actuals and I found out that we are behind the planned schedule for almost 20 days. We are getting worried as this project is only a 6-month duration working activities. I was reading a lot of information from the web but those were not that helpful.

Perhaps anyone from here can help me at least to start this learning process.

Thank you so much.

Mildred

Replies

Mildrid Fabian

Thank you so much for all the help. It helped me a lot.

Sunil Babu
User offline. Last seen 4 years 36 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Mildred,

After comparing with the baseline track all the delayed activities and check weather it caused due to client or not.

Either you can increase the resources to recover the delay or you can change the logic.

Instead of FS relations use more start to start relations to do the fast tracking.

With Best Regards,

Sunil.

Stephen Devaux
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Hi, Mildred.

Absolutely crucial information in planning schedule recovery is the drag and the drag cost of each critical path activity.

Fraternally in project management,

Steve the Bajan

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 31 weeks 13 hours ago. Offline
Mildred, As suggested below, you and the project team will be able to formulate the solution. Compile the results and that will be your presentation for the Recovery program. regards,
Mildrid Fabian

Hi Raymund,

I stand corrected. I was actually referring to Recovery Program.

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Mildrid

Kannan has given you good advice.

One point to consider - is the cost of acceleration more per day than the LAD's?

Best regards

Mike Testro

Kannan CP
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Hi Mildrid,

First of all if you prepare the submit the recovery schedule to Client, you are accepting that the delay part belongs to you. Check if there is delay from Client side.

Two of the accepted scheduling techniques to recover a delayed schedules are Fast Tracking and Crashing. Review the present critical path in the project.

In fast tracking you can analyze(with your team & management) where the works can be carried out in parallel, instead of the planned sequence. Consider the risk in it since your project is only 6 months.

In the Crashing, you can add more resources than planned to pull back the delayed activities. Consider the additional cost of the required resources.

Also see other possible ways of revised logic.

Regards

Kannan

Shah. HB
User offline. Last seen 18 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Hi Mildrid Fabian

'' One day's delay is another day's lack of progress.’’

As the length of schedule slippage is quantified (20 Days), it allows you to highlight those slippage to the Project Manager for a work around.

For micro management, the delayed activities can be broken down and the resource (Material, Manpower, Equipment, etc.) allocation and availability to be revisited and then logically linked back to the schedule.

Cheers

Shahul Badhusha

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 31 weeks 13 hours ago. Offline

Mildred,

First of all I would like to have the clarification of the definition of the following:

Recovery Plan = is a narrative report that will layout the execution process of recovering the delayed schedule.

Recovery Schedule = is a Bar chart representing the Planned Schedule compare to Recovery (accelerated) Schedule.

Recovery Program = is the report that consist of the Recovery Plan and Recovery Schedule.

Please correct me if Im wrong.