Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

In Situ Underground Car Park

4 replies [Last post]
Alex Rozenkevich
User offline. Last seen 6 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Dear Colleagues,

I’m looking for an educated guess with regard to how long a 4 level underground car park STRUCTURE ONLY can take to construct. This is the information that I have:

In situ concrete: columns, beams, slabs, shear walls, ramps, cores for lifts.

Floor area: 18000 m2, (120 x 150 m), overall 72000 (18000 x 4)

Retaining walls and piles are in place, though piles need to be cut.

That’s pretty much what I have. I reckon that the overall volume of concrete will be around 35 000 – 40 000 m3 (have run some basic design calculations)

Any help is highly appreciated,

Regards,

Alex

Replies

Alex Rozenkevich

Bogdan,

Thanks a lot for sharing your valuable experience.

Regards,

Alex

Alex Rozenkevich

Thanks Andrew, appreciate your input.

With regards to resources I don’t envisage more than 3 tower cranes for such an area. Is there any rule of thumb as to how much in-situ concrete can be installed per tower crane working say 10 hours a day only for formwork / reinforcement / striking of all the elements that I listed in my initial post? (I assume that concrete placement will be done by concrete pumps). I’m looking for an average figure per day..

Regards,

Alex

Bogdan Leonte
User offline. Last seen 1 week 4 days ago. Offline

Greetings Alex,

my company submitted a tender for a similar underground parking a few years ago, from what I can remember the the parking had only 3 levels and there wasn't neccesary to use piles, the parking had a raft foundation of aproximately 1 meter hight. The floor area was similar. The difference was that it was in the middle of the city and there was a park with some monuments on top of the site of the future parking which had to be removed and placed back after the parking was finished. 

Now that you have a general ideea of the work, the estimated duration of the structure was estimated at 8 months since you were allowed to dig only at night.

You should defenetely take into consideration the risk of findig artefacs or a grave site (this is what happened in the previous project thus resulting in 6 months delay of the project).

Regads,

Bogdan

Andrew Pearce
User offline. Last seen 1 year 16 weeks ago. Offline

The answer will depend on what resource you have available however consider this

How many piles do you have to cut down? Calculate how you long you thinkm it will take to cut all the piles say 6 weeks

Add to this duration the time lag to get your first section of raft ready to pour say 4 weeks

Add to this a reasonable floor to floor cycle time say 4 weeks X 4 (including ground)

Answer = 26 weeks

To achieve this you will need to place an average of 300m3 concrete per day.