Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Critical Path and Key Dates

8 replies [Last post]
Ronn Chester Baluyot
User offline. Last seen 8 years 43 weeks ago. Offline

A friend asked me about how to determine the critical path of their project in relation to contractual key dates.

The case is, they have contract to construct the superstructure and finished for a train depot. It is located in a large area and it is divided into sub-area. Each sub-area has a particular structure to be built like administration building, power facilities building, fire service building, maintenance workshop, etc. Each sub-area will be handed over to them once the foundations were completed by other contractor and it will not be at once.

Aside from the usual contract key dates of start and finish for the whole project, each sub-zone has a completion key date in which there is a penalty if they don't finish it on that date. He told me that they try to do each sub-area independently and resources is not issue.

In this case, how many critical path this project will have?

Replies

Trevor Rabey
User offline. Last seen 1 year 23 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

It is a near certainty that the previous subcontractor will be late finishing their parts and they will hand them over to you later than anyone is currently anticipating, demanding or promising.

You should only be prepared to commit to a maximum duration from the handover (ie your start).

Since you don't know yet what your actual start date will be in advance, you should not yet commit to a contract finish date.

Johannes Vandenberg
User offline. Last seen 10 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Hi Ronn

I understand that you are intending to create a project with several sub-projects. I suggest that you create in the EPS an new item in the corrrect OBS with the title:   "Superstructures  for a train depot".

Under this EPS you create four separate projects.

<<Administration building

<<Power facilities building

<<Fire service building

<<Maintenance workshop

Each of these projects should have their own start and finish Keydates. So, the critical path of all four the projects are separately shown in the individual projects. If you open all projects at the same time you can see them all al the same time.

For updating and progressing you can open each project separately or all projects at the same time. If you could recourse all the 4 projects  then you can plan, level and manage the recourse requirments for each project and for all projects or any combinations you whish.

Regards

Johannes

Andrew Tan
User offline. Last seen 11 years 13 weeks ago. Offline

I will try to see the results of Critical path based on the longest path and another based on 0 floats.

Compare to see whether there is a need to generate individual sectors of critical path.

In terms of phases, the commissioning of the train depot could be the important end point and you may see which sectors have lesser floats towards this phase, ie utility sector such as the electrical, water, fire fighting are needed first for startup maybe.

Andrew Tan
User offline. Last seen 11 years 13 weeks ago. Offline

Repeated posting and trying to delete this.. Still trying.

Andrew Pearce
User offline. Last seen 1 year 15 weeks ago. Offline

I am with Gary on this

Pethanna Rajendran
User offline. Last seen 8 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Ronn,

there exists only one critical path in your case.

if you can get the tentative completion dates of different areas, from the previous contractor who will be releasing areas to you.

and of course, you are expected to start from the deepest point, which is gonna take the longest duration to come up to the groud level. so this will be the first critical item for you. this is followed by the completion of the other buildings. i hope construction of those buildings would be parallel, since resource is not a problem and you have a huge area to work.

now, you list the building completion in chronological order, you have the critical path of your project.

hope this helps u!

good luck!

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 6 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Hi Ronn

Gary's suggestion is a simple solution to a common problem.

Alternatively if you want to put all the sections on one programme in P6 then one option is to put temporary "must end by" constraints - and I mean temporary - to show the critical path for each section.

They must be removed again before any adjustments or progress reporting.

Alternatively you can place a dummy task at the end of each section called "Forced Critical" that extends to the end of the whole project and linked to the final completion date - again this will have to be adjusted at the end of each progress report.

In Asta Power Project you can show the critical path of each section or the whole project by opting for a local reschedule or project reschedule.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 48 weeks ago. Offline

Ronn,

If each sub-area is truly independant (ie no logical links between them & no shared direct resources), then treat them as a programme of seperate projects, each with their own critical path. 

Cheers,

G