Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Standard Units of Measuring Productivity

13 replies [Last post]
Abdulhafiz Suara
User offline. Last seen 8 years 33 weeks ago. Offline

Dear All,

Please what is the CORRECT way to refer to productivity (production) rates; is it:

A. Quantity of work per unit of resource e.g tonnes/hr

OR

B. Resource per unit of work e.g hrs/tonnes

I have come across this confusion across the internet even in PP rates & norms, where some are option A (above) biased and some otherwise. Or we can use these however we like? (I really doubt this).

I hope clearer light will be shone on this by respected planners.

Thanks,

Abdulhafiz

Replies

FERDINAND FERNANDEZ
User offline. Last seen 5 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi,

Measurement of progress or productivity should be stablished before the project begins.

there are lots of measurement and depends of kind of work to be done.

For Concrete, it is measured by volume, for equipments sometimes by weight.

For Welding depends on what to be weld steel or pipes,

For electrical cables are per length, sometimes measured by tons too.

You should establish first your type of measurement to be used.

Hope this helps.

F.Fernandez

Arend Woltjer
User offline. Last seen 8 years 23 weeks ago. Offline

Dear all,

My two pence worth:

'Productivty' is apparently a too general concept.

You have to chose your own definition of things/time of men/ton or etc etc.

For a serious and extensive article i refer to the wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Productivity

Regards,

Arend

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 2 hours 55 min ago. Offline

Mike,

The point of my question was to see how many others out there understand.

I read you long ago but it is fun to follow the game once in a while, it is always good to debate with you.

Regards,

Rafael

Abdulhafiz Suara
User offline. Last seen 8 years 33 weeks ago. Offline

Dear All,

I am now as clear as glass (a new, transparent glass ofcourse!). Guess this is another place where maths and planning disagrees :-)

Regards with gratitudes,

Abdulhafiz

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Hi Rafael / Vladimir

Of course we all understand the principle of optimisation of gang composition but the software does not. It all comes down to the planners experience and skill in manipulating the resource modelling.

The point of my question was to see how many others out there understand.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Sunil Babu
User offline. Last seen 4 years 37 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Hafiz,

Productivity can be either Time/Unit

or Unit/Time  Whichever way you can calculate option is upto you only.

Cheers,

Sunil.

Hi Mike,

if there is a need to dig 10 holes then 5 workers will do it five time faster than 1.

Assigning resources it is necessary to assign certain and reasonable crews or define minimal and maximal resource quantities that may do certain work

Rafael Davila

Mike,

Seems like the people that place production rates tables at PP without giving information as to the crew composition think so.

Seems like some software developers that created some of the software that cannot distinguish between time, effort and work think so. Even if you make cumbersome equivalencies it is easy to get lost, is not intuitive nor transparent.

I heard somewhere that Asta is including some functionality for volume of work. This does not surprise me because they also have software like Tilos whose main logic driver is volume of work per unit time (the slopes of the lines).

Mike, the crew composition matters, if union workers of our water utility then two will work but if the crew is of five three will obstruct the work of the only two willing to work and production will be zero.

Best regards,

Rafael

Mike Testro

Hi Rafael

Are you trying to tell us that a 5 man gang can dig a bigger hole in 1 hour than a 2 man gang in the same time?

Best regards

Mike Testro

Rafael Davila

In the construction industry hours is a measure of time, resources are the means to get the production like manhours, equipment hours and materials. Measures like cy or tonnes are considered volume of work.

If in the sample provided there is no reference as to the resources such as crew composition and equipment required you got nothing.

Here you will find a lot of tables of "nothing".

By the same token you will find some software that do not differentiate work volume from hours effort as if one hour of effort equals work. It might be one hour of effort yields 50cy using some resources but using other more productive crew one hour of effort can yield twice the volume of work or perhaps even none.

Anning Sofi
User offline. Last seen 5 years 38 weeks ago. Offline

In the first case

5 tonnes/hr,  = means 5 tonnes can be installed in an hour. The resource at issue is tonnage.

In the 2nd case

1 hr/ 5 tonne = imeans ione  hour is required to erect five tonnes. The resource at issue is hours.

Do they mean they same thing? Not really, but   maybe yes,  conversely.

This is my opinion.

Mike Testro

Hi Abdulhaviz

The same system is used in asta Powerproject - you can toggle between each type of calculation when resource modelling.

It all depends on the format of your source data. In any case it is easy to set up spreadsheet to swithch the formulas.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Both are used.

A: It could be Volume of work (tonnes) per one hour of resource work, or

B: Number of work hours per unit of work (tonn).

In Spider Project we use first approach. A=1/B