Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

While updating the baseline program, can be change logic to show actual progress sequence?

5 replies [Last post]
Nilkamal Parikh
User offline. Last seen 26 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Hi all,

I am a new member here and a begineer as a schedular. Currently I am assigned to a project which is already in progress. Now as per actual progress, we have few activities which are not happening as per the baseline sequence. This is because of the complexity of the bulk earthworks job. Client also interupt with their demand and which results in change in actual sequence of the actual progress.

Now I want to know that can we make changes to the logic for the updates which can display actual sequence on site and forecast correctly? Because with progress updates for out of sequence activities, I am not getting continious work for assigned crews and not forecasted units.

I am sure you guys will guide me. Thanks in advance.

- Nilkamal

Replies

rowstone fausto
User offline. Last seen 2 years 12 weeks ago. Offline

'' Client also interupt with their demand and which results in change in actual sequence of the actual progress.''

Take note that planning is an iterative process and can be revisited. My understanding with this situation  is  you are going to execute corrective actions in order to align your current progress back to project plan or project baseline. Try to review your scope definition in your scope management plan if this issue is included in requirements documentation and if it is not, make change request with full justification once it is approved to change control board, integrated change control or the key stake holder or sponsor of projects, you can do to make update your plan schedule, cost, etc., you can develop a new baseline scheduled plan as baseline 2.

'' risk analysis are very important to develop project management plan''

have a nice day gents,

-Rowstone

Nilkamal Parikh

Hi Edwin,

Your point is quite valid and it opens the door for me to work as per actual changes on site from baseline and compare the milestone dates.

Thanks

Nilkamal Parikh

Hi Mike,

Thanks a lot for your guide. I will start doing that now and see how it works.

Cheers

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 1 week 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Nilkamal

It depends on what your contract says regarding revising the programme.

If you have to get approval before changing then that is what you will have to do - particularly if your programme is a contract document.

My advice is the save the original to a new file and make the adjustments to see the true picture.

You may have to update progress on both for a while.

If the adjustments show a delay to completion then you should consider your options regarding an EoT claim.

Best regards

Mike Testro

edwin mirana
User offline. Last seen 6 years 50 weeks ago. Offline

Current schedule is a live document that we need to update periodically. We update the actual progress, remaining durations, logic/relationship of activities as per jobsite requirements, etc. Then, we compare it with the baseline schedule to find out what are the activities on schedule, behind schedule and so on. Then, we make some analysis on how to keep the schedule on track and meeting the project milestones.

We do not change the baseline schedule. We re-baseline the schedule only when there's a need to do so after consultation with the client who approved the baseline schedule.

Hope this will help you.

-Edwin