Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Site Layout/Plan Software

6 replies [Last post]
Noel Cotter
User offline. Last seen 4 years 38 weeks ago. Offline

Hello everyone,

Currently I produce 2D site layouts/Plans using Microsoft Powerpoint. This is very time consuming and I think produces low quality drawings. It is also hard to convey all the required information in these basic drawings.

Does anybody out there have any advice or recommendations on how to produce site layouts possibly in 3D or at least if they have to be in 2D, an effective way of showing plant like cranes, piling rigs, roadways etc.

Thanks in advance,

Noel
UK

Replies

Tom Howard
User offline. Last seen 8 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Agree with Bo. Beauty of sketchup (SU) is that it can be as complicated or simple as you want. Buildings can be simple boxes, but the plan can still convey phasing, site establishment, hoarding lines etc etc.

DWG files can easily be imported so much of the work is done already (sometimes the scale is messed up on import, but easily rectified). Import a site plan DWG for starters. When you have learnt a bit more, import a floor plan and try building a representation of your project.

Scenes can be created to form a changing "movie" of your project from start to finish. You can get very good results for free, compared to the expense of software like Synchro.
Bo Johnsen
User offline. Last seen 8 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
As Andrew suggests I would also try Google Sketchup. It is extremely easy to learn and use, you can download thousands of pre-made components from the 3D Warehouse, plenty of instructions videos to download for free on Youtube and other sites (those from Aidan Chopra are very good) and best of all, it is free (unless you go with the Pro-version).

Software like AutoCad, Revit, Synchro, Vico, etc. carry a huge price tag, much more difficult to learn and it can sometimes be difficult to pursuade management that you need a license of this expensive software when you only use it as a secondary tool compared to the planning software a planner normally utilizes. No problem with Sketchup as it is free.

Bo
Geraint Roberts
User offline. Last seen 11 years 3 days ago. Offline
I used to do the same, producing logistics and phasing drawings on Powerpoint, recently started using MS Visio this has the ability to draw to scale and using familiar MS controls. Try the 30 day free download.
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Noel,

I highly recommend that you use Autocad for this purpose. Then you move on into 3D.

I am sure that if you make a few phone calls to the local surverying companies around you, then would tell you what software they are using and is compatible with their equipment.

With kind regards,

Samer
Andrew Owenson
User offline. Last seen 1 year 1 day ago. Offline
Noel

We have just started using Sketchup 7 for our site layouts - it lets you produce 3D layouts walkrounds etc and can be outsourced to powerpoint if you need to.

Andrew
D Artagnan
User offline. Last seen 2 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Powerpoint is used mainly for presentation of slides and i don’t think the drawing objects inside the program can be used efficiently for drawing layouts or anything like that. For basic, I recommend, of course, Autocad. By all means it’s the best and most flexible drawing software.

For 3D, you can use BIM softwares such as Revit (structure, mep, civil, architecture), archicad or microstation.

if you want 4D, you can use Navisworks, Synchro or Vico Presenter...