Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Large project Scheduling and Delays

1 reply [Last post]
abdul raheem moha...
User offline. Last seen 14 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Hi All
How logics(more important)and float can be justified in a construction project which has more than 10 to 40 individual sub projects independent of each other. These have to be completed in less than two year. Master schedule has to be submitted as one schedule.

My query is
1)does client has to accept my links which are based on our peak resource deployment constrain only.
2)Is there any criteria to justify logics and calculate floats in the process of scheduling.Each sub project has milestone to be achieved.
3)What is the maximum float allowed in such construction (in practice).
4) such links will be acceptable in delay analysis (or time extension) of complete project rather than individual?.

Project include buildings (ground +1)at max, (say 12 building of different type) . Roads, Trenches (2 km) and hundreds of Foundations (duration of each may vary from 60 to 400 days)
Ex: Power plant

you are requested to explain this and any technical page references will be more helpful.

Thank you in advance and best regards

Replies

Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Dear abdul raheem,

This is a nice problem that we have solved at several projects with over 40+ subcontractors with projects ranging from $100K - $10M per project.

I will answer each of your questions to the best of information that I have as follows:

1)does client has to accept my links which are based on our peak resource deployment constrain only.
Answer: Usually, a Construction Manager or a senior Planner is incharge of the project. The approval of the Schedule is determined by them with the approval of the team. You will need the approval of at least the major subcontractors in order to have a successful project.

2)Is there any criteria to justify logics and calculate floats in the process of scheduling.Each sub project has milestone to be achieved.
Answer: This depends on the type of project and the experience of the project team.

3) 3)What is the maximum float allowed in such construction (in practice).
Answer: it depends on the type of project. If it is a running project, then the float is minimal. If it is a new project, then you have the constraints of the tenants. As long as the Owner does not sustain losses, you will have available float to add.

4) such links will be acceptable in delay analysis (or time extension) of complete project rather than individual?
Answer: each contractor will have his own program of works and his own milestones. The links are infused are milestones. They are not approved in between contractors.

Your example of 12 building is simple. The repetition can be used to your advantage. The art is in selecting the right people with previous experience whom can eliminate the complexities of the large size projects.

Good luck, and if you have more specific questions, please let us know.

Best Regards,

Samer