Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How many times a day are you "head-hunted"?

11 replies [Last post]
Tom Howard
User offline. Last seen 8 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Just wondering how many calls you lot are receiving from recruitment agencies ? I reckon I must be on 3 a week (often like buses, with all three coming on the same day...)

Can you beat this ???

Obviously ALL are "ringing to touch base", having heard how WONDERFULLY suited to the position I am (having never met me or seen my CV) etc etc

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Hi Gwen

I wouldn’t want to say that out loud unles my teeth were well glued in.

Best regards

Mike T.
Gwen Blair
User offline. Last seen 10 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Its a plethora of planners (generic term for p!ssed up planners in a prime pub)
Andrew Dick
User offline. Last seen 8 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
So you have heard about the ’Brisbane Planners Beers and Bullshit’ sessions that I organise.

The next one is in May - Date to be decided, will you be in town????

Basically I try to get as many guest drinkers along as possible and we descend on some poor hapless bar or purveyor of fine alcoholic beverages and talk bullshit about who’s got the biggest slippage.

Quite a good networking tool.
Mike Testro
Hi Andrew

Planners in a picket line? How did they manage to co-ordinate that activity?

By the way - what is the collective noun for a group of planners - in Oz it is most likely a "Bar of Planners"

Best regards

Mike T.
Andrew Dick
I wish we had file sharing here as I’ve got a great photo of a picket line formed by protesting planners, on strike in support of their mates.

Andy
PINAN T.
User offline. Last seen 5 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
The Credit should always be for the whole Const’n and Technical Team..

Tom Howard
User offline. Last seen 8 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
"Planner of the Year" ha ha HA !

Never heard that one before, but I can imagine some of the big-headed Bozo’s I’ve worked with falling for it....

We had a spate of calls from someone claiming to be organising a Planning conference in London and asking if we wanted tickets (free, naturally...). When I asked what date the conference was on, they didn’t even have the wit or wisdom to make one up. They also couldn’t tell me WHERE this event was to take place. All they needed were the names and positions of ALL the planners in our company. Great event organiser hey ???

Mind you, what do you expect from a "colouring-in" profession like recruitment. It’s one step down from Estate Agency, and probably requires less skill than that of a cashier at a 24hr petrol station. (If that doesn’t stop the calls, nothing will...)
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Guys,

Tom is absolutely right, this is happening with a monotonous regularity. I’ve found that they’ll keep contacting you even when your details, lodged with PP, say to leave you alone.

I know that recruiters are not very bright, but surely even they realise that when you’ve stated that you don’t want them to contact you, you do actually mean it. Although I suppose it’s too much to expect them realise that continual hassling is going to annoy people; possibly to the extent that they will refuse to use their services which could mean a downturn in their business.

Not likely is it?

Chris Oggham

Andrew Dick
Mike,
I’m interested to know how many times you were nominated and/or were bestowed the honour of Planner of the year.

Not a bad trick though.....

Andy
Glenn Douglas
User offline. Last seen 1 year 39 weeks ago. Offline
If you feeling lonely & unloved, update your CV on pp & jobsite.
then you will suddenly become very popular with lots of phone calls.
more like 3 an hour not 3 a week.
Mike Testro
Hi Tom

Just wait for the scam where the agency rings the office receptionist and tells her that they are putting together a shortlist for the "Planner of the Year" contest. They then phone all the names given.

Watch Out!

Mike Testro