Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How many activities would you have for…

5 replies [Last post]
Nader K. Rad
User offline. Last seen 3 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

It was the subject of our conversation a couple of days ago, that the way we plan and control projects in Iran is too complicated and for example we use too many activities in our project plans. The first thing came to my mind was to ask it here!

So, suppose we have a construction project (a normal office building, 8 floors), budgeted 50,000,000$, two years. How many activities would you have in your normal plans?

Thanks for the answers

- Nader Khorrami Rad, PMP, CSM, PSM

Replies

Mohammad Mojahid ...
User offline. Last seen 9 years 40 weeks ago. Offline

dear nader

I AM WORKING IN SAUDI ARABIA IN A BUILDING CONSTRUCTION COMPANY WITH ALL 16 DISCIPLINES.

WE ARE WORKING WITH GOOD COMMUNICATION SKILLS., BUT WHEN YOUR PROJECT TO MOVE FOR 1 YEARS YOU WILL FACE PROBLEM THIS IS NORMAL. SO AT THAT TIME YOU HAVE TO MAKE ACTION PLAN OR IF YOU ARE GOING MORE BEHIND YOU HAVE TO MAKE REVISED SCHEDULE.

THANKS

Nader K. Rad
User offline. Last seen 3 years 46 weeks ago. Offline

Mohammad, Mike, and Munir, thank all of you for the answers.

Dear Mohammad, your plan, in terms of the number of activities, is similar to ours. I suppose you are working in India. May I ask you about the culture of your organizations? Are different disciplines work hand in hand, with good communication, teamwork and respect? Or there are some shortcomings and you try to overcome them by using more complicated plans and control systems?

Dear Mike, the rules you’ve mentioned are not much different from mine, but believe me, you can have a wide range of number of activities with them. So, I appreciate it if you give me the number. Thanks again.

- Nader Khorrami Rad, PMP, CSM, PSM

Munir Ravi
User offline. Last seen 7 years 29 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Nader,

You can fix a min unit for duration (say 2days) and for budget ($1000) for an activity. Any activity lesser than these can be considered as a step. 

For your size of project I think 1500-2000 activities is good enough.

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Hi Nadeer

The answer is as many as is needed for a proper bottom up programme.

It laso depends on the type of structure and the level of fit out.

My rules are:

1 task for each trade in each location.

A location in your case would be on each floor a zone with unrestricted vertical and horizontal foot access so that each trade can follow the next.

Plus the lift and stair zones.

Only use FS logic and never use constraints.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Mohammad Mojahid ...
User offline. Last seen 9 years 40 weeks ago. Offline

I HAVE 16,000,000$ PROJECT WITH 12388 ACTIVITIES.