Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

how much time you work on excel !

8 replies [Last post]
mimoune djouallah
User offline. Last seen 4 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
how much time you work on excel comparing to other tool !

Replies

Susanna Kate
User offline. Last seen 4 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi,

Nature of work changes over the time and the same is eventually true for the precentages of different tools in use. Currently my split is as follows:

1. Excel: 40%
  2. Words: 30%
  3. WordPress: 20%
  4. Research work: 5%
  5. Other: 5%
JV Amande
User offline. Last seen 12 years 25 weeks ago. Offline

Excel is one of the best medium to illustrate and let your superiors understand the flow/progress of your project.

Excel = 40%
Planning Software = 30%
Site Inspection = 10%
Other Application = 10%
Research = 5%
RESERVE = 5%

Jay S
User offline. Last seen 9 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Meetings / Team Interaction - 40 %
Word - 20 %
Excel - 10 %
Planning Software - 5 %
Other System - 5 %
Coffee Shop - 15 % (Could be part of team interaction)

And the missing 5 % I Don’t Know
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Hi Mimoune

I have moved this from the Trivia section.

A serious answer to your question - In delay analysis the time breakdown is something likee this:

Spreadsheets 60%
Programming 30%
PowerPoint 10%
Word 10%

Best regards

Mike Testro
mimoune djouallah
saha escander, happy to hear from you again.

of course it will not replace a scheduling package for sure, but i was (on purpose) a little ironic in my original post,starting from a middle size project, the volume of data manipulated is very huge (and frustrating),
a planner should have enough skills in database theory and tools in order to survive, updating the schedule now is the easy part, of course once you aggregated all those information in a useful format ( man hour burned by activity, actual start,finish forecast, physical progress, status of drawing, equipments arrived on site ....)

i am not including financial data here, which is a challenge apart.

best regards.

mimoune djouallah
eh what still using lotus, i wonder how it was your experience "upgrading" from p3 to p6 !

i asked about excel usage, because as planner we are supposed to work on p3, but i found myself ( with my colleagues)spending nearly all our time on excel.

one guy from construction department interested in changing the job asked me, what’s the tool he need to learn, P3 or Ms project. my reply was, excel & access.

best regards
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Hi Mimoune

Zero time on excell - I use Lotus 123.

I was once asked "How many people work in your firm?" I said "On average about 40%"

Best regards

Mike T.