Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Level 1: How Much Details Should it Contain

2 replies [Last post]
Jose Ramirez
User offline. Last seen 11 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Dear Planning/Schedulers of the World:

I am wondering to myself sitting in a foreign country next to foriegn engineers (Today been the Day of the Engineer), how much details should a Contractual Level One Schedule should it contain. 

Please advise me, I am attaching two version of a Level One Schedule I have created. 

Version One Was rejected:

wysiwyg_imageupload::

Version two Was Approved:

wysiwyg_imageupload::

Please, Let me know because I feel like the rejected version was a better schedule and I also understand the ambiguity of the version that was approved on how less specific information can be an advantage to our side in not setting absolute dates of completion. 

Please Let me know your thoughts are,

Replies

LUIS PEREZ
User offline. Last seen 7 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi José:

<<Tampoco puedo leer los cronogramas adjuntos en nivel 1 (el rechazado y el aprobado)>> 

Anable too for reading the said schedule of level 1 whatever be the withdrawn or the approved. A Level 1 chronogram shoud content the main Key Milestones imposed by the client as well as the critical completion milestones proposed by the CONTRACTOR (a long lead item reference could be a plus).

No more than 30-50 activities should be shown on the Level 1 summary schedule by stating the said milestones as well as the main phases of the project with a breakdown by main disciplines for engineering, procurement, construction, precommissioning and commissioning.

Regards,

Saludos

Ryan Lytollis
User offline. Last seen 10 years 40 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Jose,

(unable to see your attachments)

I've come across simular issues, and in all fairness in the situation it came down to what the project manager wanted and wanted to show, I would have prefered to show more detail in my schedules with key milestones and key summary activities, however my project manager decided that he wanted to show only long lead time activities and the contractors start and finish dates.

The idea behind this was to give a rough estimate at a level 1, with a view of becoming more detailed as more information came in.

Was yours directed by your PM or Engineers saying I dont want to show that?