Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Civil works

10 replies [Last post]
kier legard
User offline. Last seen 14 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi to all,

I have a schedule where one milestone is completion of civil works for a certain building.I didnt link the finishes to the civil works milestone because i consider this as architectural works but client insist to link it.

please advice

Regards,

kier

Replies

kier legard
Hi Se,

We have agreed already about the scope of civil works with the client.

Regards,

kier
Se de Leon
User offline. Last seen 2 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Kier,

My question to you is, what does this milestone do for you and for your client?

Normally, phased milestones like this should be well defined in contract documents because it could have some sort of damages if not met on top of the substantial performance damages for the whole project. As you said, there’s nothing mentioned in your contract about architectural finishes as being part of civil works milestone. I guess damages for phased milestone is not mentioned as well

If this is just something like a gate to show phased completion, then my suggestion to you is to talk to your client and agree with him about the definition without undermining the contract. This should be done in consultation with your contracts manager.

I hope this helps.
Se
Abhijit Kale
User offline. Last seen 5 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
As shahzad said, u can create two milestones,

but for substation, u may be having the substation building, so completion of civil work in this regrds means compleating the building in all respect till u hand it over for electromechanical works.

cheers,
abhi
Shahzad Sikandar
User offline. Last seen 5 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
I would sugges creat two miestones, one for civil works, and another for Finishes/Miscellaneous works etc, or define a better terminology for second milestone.

but this has to be agreed with your client.

this is my opinion, comments and arguments are always welcome.

cheers

kier legard
Hi abhjit,

Our project is a 66 kv substation.I believe the completion of the shell (structural + chb) is the completion of civil works.Am i right?

regards, kier
Abhijit Kale
Hi Kier,

Then Finishing work indirectly becomes the part of Civil work.

I ll give u simple example. if u r going to construct the bridge,

then bridge is said to be copleted n u can go for complition certificate only when you complete the work for bridge super structure plus all bridge finishing work, such as median, crash barrier, hand rails, expansion joint fixing, road markings, traffic sign fixing.
all these items are misscellaneous items and most of them are related to archtectural work but still we have to complete all to say Civil work is finished.

Cheers,
Abhi
kier legard
Hi abhijit,

We have a contractual milestone called civil works completion.But client insist finishing works is civil works? so I have to link finishing works to completion of civil works.Nothing is mentioned in the contract which works should be linked to the completion of civil works.

Regards,
kier
Abhijit Kale
Dear Kier,

Is there any contractual mile stone mentioned in your contract?
Or client has given any program/ milestones in the contract specifying the same?

If yes, then you have to follow the clients instructions.

cheers,
Abhi
kier legard

Hi Malcolm,

We have an interim milestone called completion of civil works.I have some finishing activities which I consider as architectural works.Client insist this to be linked with completion of civil works.

Regards,

kier
Malcolm Young
User offline. Last seen 10 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Kier,

I would like to help, but can’t really understand your question. Would you mind re-phrasing, and/or providing more details?

One of my managers once said that there are 2 rules when relating to a Client (any Client). Rule 1: The Client is always right. Rule 2: If the Client is wrong, refer to Rule 1.

Now, in theory that obviously can’t be correct. But in practice, you’ll work out how best to deal with different Clients, in order to get the desired result.

Regards,

Malcolm