Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Tender Planning workload per year, per Planner ??

10 replies [Last post]
Tom Howard
User offline. Last seen 8 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Just wondering what you lot would reasonably expect a Tender Planner to bid for over a one year period ie £100M, £200M etc etc ????

Only interested in European (esp UK) Construction companies. (ie not a South African diamond mining tender planner ;-)

The reason I ask is that there are currently 2 of us here, and as well as providing site support (such as progress updating), we have just covered over £125 million worth of tenders in ONE MONTH!

Thanks.

Replies

Glenn Douglas
User offline. Last seen 1 year 40 weeks ago. Offline
johny,

Those descriptions are going up on the managers office wall.
(I could do with a new job).

Glenn
Cyril Armentia
User offline. Last seen 7 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Johny,

You made my day with a big laugh.

Cyril
Andrew Pearce
User offline. Last seen 1 year 14 weeks ago. Offline
Buna Dimineata, Good morning,
I think the original question asked was how many project bids a construction planner could handle at tender stage in any one year. (I presume we are talking building construction projects Hotels, Offices, Hospitals and the like)

I suggest that this is not an easy question to answer as any bid may have different submission requirements. It also depends on what service you expect the planner to provide, obtain Tower Crane, scaffolding quotes etc. Produce programme method statements, phasing plans etc.

Unless the project is extremely large and/or complex I would expect a proficient planner to manage at least 2 tenders per month.

James Barnes
User offline. Last seen 1 year 4 weeks ago. Offline
Tom,

if your firm thinks that maintaining site schedules is a job to be tacked onto the tasks of the tendering planner, then I think you have all the answers you need about how seriously they take their planning and how unlikely it is that they’d listen to anyone telling them that they’re not putting requisite resources into the discipline.

at the rate you’re talking, you would be planning literally billions of euros / pounds worth of tenders a year.

This is not planning, it can’t be. It’s pretty pictures to procure projects.

There is a shortage of planners in Europe at the moment, you don’t need to be some BDMs whipping boy ... unless you get a kick out of it, that is ;-)
Tom Howard
User offline. Last seen 8 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Many thanks for all the informative replies (and the auto email notifications that generated with each one).

Can I retract my previous statement and open the question up to South African diamond planners as well please ???
Bea Sports
User offline. Last seen 2 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
How true, how true.
Imran Arshad
User offline. Last seen 5 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Very Nice

Imran
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 4 days ago. Offline
Nice to start early morning.
Andrew Dick
User offline. Last seen 8 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Nice one,
Johny Kesserwany
User offline. Last seen 7 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Tom,

I don’t have European work load average for planners.... But read the followings may be it would help!!!

CONSTRUCTION TERMINOLOGY - Where do you FIT ???

Project Manager : is a Person who thinks nine women can deliver a baby in one month

Construction Manager : is one who thinks a single woman can deliver nine babies in one month

Contract manager : is one who asks if the baby is in the budget ( and if it saves money to adopt )

Project Engineer : is a person who thinks he can deliver a baby if no man and woman are available.

Section Engineer : is a Person who thinks it will take 18 months to deliver a baby

Design Engineers : are still figuring out how to produce a baby

Procurement Team : thinks they don’t need a man or woman; they’ll produce a child with zero resources

Document Control Team : thinks they don’t care whether the child is delivered they’ll just document 9 months.

Quality Auditor : is the person who is never happy with the PROCESS to produce a baby.

Site Engineers : don’t care...they just want the woman!!!

Client : is the one who doesn’t know why he wants a baby.
Business Development Manager : is the one who is trying to make the baby with the client’s wife.

QUANTITY SURVEYOR : is the one who wait for the baby to be delivered, so that they can make claim to be its Father.

Last but not Least

Planning Engineer : is the one who is working around the clock for nine months to prove that the baby is not a bastard!.

Regards
JK