Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Civil or MEP

9 replies [Last post]
Bysani Balaji
User offline. Last seen 16 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi friends
Iam basically a Civil engineer then did my construction management,and now Iam working as a planning engineer for Palm Jumeirah monorail project(For MEP works)
so can any one suggest me out of their eperience, that being a civil engineer and civil engineering being my area of interest should I stay back with a MEP contractor or should I shift the company.If I want to make a move which is the right time to move whether now(I have been working in this area since 6 months and this is my first job) or should I stay back and complete one year and then make a move.
Regards,
Balaji

Replies

Alfred Mendiola
User offline. Last seen 9 years 8 weeks ago. Offline

Balaji,

Try to gain experience in different discipline. If you are a planning engineer assigned to project site it is your best chance to learn more not only on your present status and also the civil work by observing how to build it.

Regards

Alfred M.

A R Pandian S
User offline. Last seen 9 years 12 weeks ago. Offline

HI GOOD MORNING ALL ,

IF ANY ONE HAVING THE MEP SCHEDULE FOR THE HOSPITAL ( MULTI LEVEL & MULTI SPECALITY ) BUILDING PLEASE FORWARD ME TO MY PERSONAL MAIL ID pandian85@rediffmail.com

Thanks

A R P

ashraf alawady
User offline. Last seen 9 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Good explenation and well done Raviraj Bhedase,

In addtion to the above earning the sufficint experainces in a certain field it a time consuming process and we can not ignor this fact and we have to prepare our self and take the reasonable time to that with strong hknowledge and solid bases.
A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Seems that u r a NICMARIAN!!

I wud advise u to stay in the same firm bcoz

At present u r working on a project which is in high demand; monorail has better prospects in future, not only in UAE but also in UK, INDIA and other developing countries.

Driving work package in any Building works is always FINISHING ITEMS, and MEP works always drive the finishing works. Structural works ALONE are bit easy compared to planning of MEP & Finishing items in line with other utility services. So, got a GOOD CHANCE to Learn MEP WORKS.

U r having experience of only 6 months; First get trained yourself. Know how the whole organisation works, what r the enterprise factors need to be considered, what somebody understands by the word PROGRAM, what r its implications, how important it is, how to use PROGRAM to prevent ur own company interests.

LAST THING wud b, if u working for less than year and that too in *** (Am I Correct), that means, u will have a ban for one calender year.

So, stick into ur company, gain some experience and then move out.
ashraf alawady
Hi,

The conclution of our advise is to stay in the company and gather some more experience in civil engineering works and scheduling programme,then you can change to any orther field.
Joros Burgondy
User offline. Last seen 10 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar
Hi Mr. Balaji,

Better stay in the company and some more experience and scheduling programme, anyway if you want to change into Civil you had already an idea on MEP works, I work on high rise here UAE and i had a difficult time in making a planning on MEP because im Civil,

And if you can not finished the contract you know the rules here we got banned and wait again.
Larry Bjorn
User offline. Last seen 11 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Balaji,

Whatever you do, I don’t think future employers will look down on you because you left your 1st employment after 6month. If anything, they might look at it as positive determination. You have a good reason for leaving and you are likely to be more useful in your field of expertise.

Regards,
Larry
Richard Spedding
User offline. Last seen 5 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Bysani

Finish the job you are on, then move - don’t make a habit of moving jobs too often - when the downturn comes, (and it will, eventually) people will not employ someone who moves about every 6 months.

While you are there, try to find out and understand as much as you can about MEP services and how they are installed, as this will give you experience which many other planners do not have.
ashraf alawady
in my opinion, youhave to stay back and complete at least one year to get adequat excperiances in civil works then you can make a move to any other field if you could not contiue in the same which is the best field since the civil engineering is the core of all the practical sciences.