Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

LEVEL I - schedules

2 replies [Last post]
Carmen Arape
User offline. Last seen 6 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
To al LEVEL I Planners

Developing a Project FEED phase where the BEST information that I have is:

- Major Equipment LIST
- PFDs (in progress)
- PIDs (in progress)

HOW CAN I assess duration for main project phases such as:

ENGINEERING
CONSTRUCTION

Is there any INDICATOR that may give us rough duration of phases mentioned above based on total tagged equipment. OR MAY BE another indicator between total PIDs and duration of above PHASES.

Waiting comments
Thanks
carmen

Replies

Carmen Arape
User offline. Last seen 6 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
PETER,

XXXX

Thanks for your answer.

I BUILT my schedule based on critical LLI. The worst case was 14 months delivery after placing PO. Based on actual information of LLI delivery, I built the construction schedule starting with Equipment setting which was attached to delivery with FF relation + lag.

Fully agree with YOU with regard to cross check the schedule with Estimating. Getting the preliminary Direct Field manhours and with total construction duration, I can have a rough IDEA about how the MANPOWER should be.

Regards,
carmen
Peter Holroyd
User offline. Last seen 1 week 4 days ago. Offline
Carmen,
at the FEED Stage build the EPC Schedule around the critical path items (unless Project is Shutdown related).
This is generally the major equipment definition, purcahse order, delivery, installation, commission.

Critical path could be
FEED Study (FEL 2) say 6 months, then say 2 months to decide to go for a FEL 3 which means PO for Major Items say 3 months into FEL 3, say 30 months delivery, 9 months to install and 6 months to commission.

If this doesn’t give the right end date then invite ideas around early long lead orders etc.

Don’t forget to do a planning session so that project team buys in to the schedule and a schedule risk analysis intercativ ewith th estimate.